1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Collector's Editions

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Geoff, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Do you ever splurge on the Collector's Edition of a game? What would normally attract you to spend the extra money to do so? And what collector's editions do you currently have?

Personally, it's very rare for me to buy a CE. I don't have the space to display or store all the extras, and normally I don't feel it's worth the extra $30-40 for an artbook or figurine. Steelbooks are the one thing that will really tempt me.

I do own a few CEs though:
    • Final Fantasy XII - The first CE I ever bought. It was on sale when I bought it, and I'd just finished up X and wanted to try out XII, so I picked it up. Really nice Steelbook.
    • Halo Wars - It was a Gold Box deal on Amazon (remember when they had those?) and much cheaper than the regular version, plus it had a Steelbook.
    • Modern Warfare 2 - It came with the original CoD and a Steelbook, plus some other stuff, and I had some expiring Amazon credit, so I got the Hardened Edition at launch for like $10. This was back when I tried to get into CoD...I never did.
    • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Horrible, horrible game. Decent Steelbook and cute little USB flash drive though. Thankfully I only paid like $15 for this.
    • LittleBigPlanet 2 - Probably the nicest and most limited CE I own. The bookends that came with it are fantastic (even though one of mine has a slight ding...couldn't get it replaced though because they only released a limited number of CEs at launch). Right now they're on my dresser holding up my DS and 3DS games.
    • Super Mario 25th Anniversary - Sure it's just a ROM dump, but it was fairly limited when it was released and it has some nice packaging.
    • The Last Story - All launch copies of this were Collector's Edition, so I got this at no extra charge. Fantastic game and some really nice extras, especially for free.
    • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix - Got it at launch, had the nice artbook but was really annoyed that the artbook itself was the case. I actually printed off a cover and used a spare PS3 case for it when I put it on my shelf.
    I...think that's all that I own! What about you guys?

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    The only collector's edition I own is the limited edition of Tales of Xillia, which was a free upgrade from the standard edition at launch anyway. Unless we're also counting digital games, in which case I own the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin, and the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition on Steam.

I wanted to get the special edition of Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX, but I didn't pre-order, and even though I went all over town looking for it on launch day, I wound up just scoring the regular edition... Lesson learned in time for HD II.5 ReMIX.

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I think I only have two CEs:
    • The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (Contains LoZ, AoL, OoT, and MM)
    • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Came with an artbook and a jack-in-the-box thing)

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I really don't know if Zelda counts.

Aside from the above, I have many Zelda prima collector's edition guides. Came separate from the games though.

Does Mario All-Stars count if I have the original release?

5. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    • Assassin's Creed II
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Ni no Kuni
    • Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
    • Tales of Xillia

I always thought I had more than that but those are the only ones I remember.

One CE I wished I'd gotten but didn't ever buy was Bioshock 2. I'd never use the vinyls it came with but aahh I wanted the artbook so much. I still wish I had it even if I didn't enjoy Bioshock 2 nearly as much as the first.

I am the complete opposite. I hate steelbooks because they look awkward on the shelf compared to all the other cases whereas figures and artbooks? I live for that sort of thing.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I really thought you had a Kingdom Hearts one, no?

7. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    ...oh yeah. I forgot about that because I didn't actually keep the game from it, I sold it. I got the CE for KH3D for the DS case it came with. Artbook was nice too.

And now that I'm actually sitting by my games, too, I can see I have the Collector's Edition of FF12, too. (Just a steel case but I think there's some sort of DVD in there that I still haven't watched.)

TRIFORCE89 likes this.