1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Review

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Klippy, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    Veteran Kong players might scoff at Retro's latest adventure, but they'd be doing themselves a disservice by not giving it a chance.

View the full article

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I just wrapped up my playthrough the other day. First world I was like "aahhhh, Dixie doesn't feel like she did on the SNES, I'm sticking to Diddy". And then I was strictly Dixie after that. I didn't use any of the Kong-specific power ups though. I cleared the final boss using Cranky :X

Did you play Returns on the Wii or 3DS at all?

It's not SNES Country, no. I wouldn't want it to go that far back. These game adopt a little from Jungle Beat actually - DK's generally more animalistic behaviour, climbing (not rope/vine), swimming a little bit, etc. It's like a merger between Rare's work and the extreme that EAD Tokyo was taking the franchise to. If it was just another SNES-like gaming, it would be stagnant and suffer like New Super Mario Bros. does.

Tropical Freeze is a mighty fine and satisfying side-scrolling platformer. Playing level-to-level (not completionist in collecting things), it isn't that difficult. It's just... fair. And the levels are really fun and uniquely themed.

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Speak for yourself. :P

I found it to be a pretty difficult game, but only on a few occasions was it the frustrating cheap difficulty that often plagues platformers. So I didn't mind it as much because I knew usually it was my own screw-up that had caused me to die, rather than because I didn't see a random pit that appeared out of nowhere.

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    A couple of bosses were a real pain. The final boss was the spawn of satan. But I felt moving from left to right was fine. Really fair level design and save points never horribly far away to restart/continue from. Tough, but fair. Challenging, but fun. I didn't find the levels frustrating.

If you thought it was real difficult, I can't wait to see you play Donkey Kong Country 2 :P

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Oh, I agree the level design was fair with very few exceptions. Like I said, I rarely ever felt like the game caused me to die - 99% of the time I knew it was my fault. So I agree that it was tough, but fair. Doesn't make it any less hard, haha.