1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

East Coast/Colorado Earthquakes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geoff, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    In case you haven't heard, a 5.8 earthquake struck Mineral, Virginia this afternoon, northwest of Richmond. It's the strongest earthquake to hit the East Coast since the late 1800s, and was felt from Georgia to Canada. The quake came right on the heels of another unusual quake that hit Colorado last night. Click for a NY Times article.

Did anyone feel either of the quakes? I live in eastern Virginia (the earthquake was in central VA) and I was sitting down, on my laptop, and everything started shaking. Didn't get any damage that we can tell, but it was still the first time I've ever felt one. Apparently the Washington National Cathedral was damaged, and the Capitol and Pentagon were evacuated.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I felt it here in/around Toronto. I felt in my office building.

I don't want to say we shook, it wasn't violent. More of a sway. Only a few seconds long. Sit down and just... kinda sway left and right a couple of times. That's what it felt like.

Basically, we said "I think we're having an earthquake". Then we looked at the blinds which were really shaking and that basically confirmed it. Then it stopped. We Googled for the earthquake and then we "shook" again, but for a much shorter amount of time.

We were only on the second floor and it wasn't a free standing building, so I'm kinda surprised I felt it.

3. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    I live just north of Toronto and didn't feel a thing.
    Most of the people I know didn't feel it, some even sleeping through it all.
    A few people felt a small shake, but even on the news they were just interviewing people who all said they didn't feel a thing.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I DIDN'T FEEL IT AND I FEEL SO RIPPED OFF!!

:( I missed out on the Quebec earthquake last year too... someone else a few metres away from me felt it but I didn't feel a thing sitting at my desk. This year, I was puttering around in the kitchen, making my way into the family room, or sitting down watching a movie when it happened and neither me or my friend felt anything. So not fair!

I've never felt an earthquake before despite living on the west coast for a while so I've always wanted to know what it feels like, morbid as it sounds.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I didn't feel last year's either. And I was just as disappointed as you. But I felt this years. Aren't you jealous? :p

It was probably worth closer to the Virginia, but over where we are you can replicate how it felt just by... swaying a little bit.

6. Soul

Soul Demonic s o u l

16%
    Ohh yes, I definitely felt it (I live in Virginia so). I was kind of freaked out at first, as it was very unexpected. But nothing really fell or anything in my house, so it's all okay.