1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Educational Status

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geoff, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Are you still in school? If so, what's your current status (in college, high school, etc.)? If you're not, how far did you get - did you get your bachelor's, master's, etc.?

2. Nolafus

Nolafus Critic of everything

68%
    I dropped out of college after my second quarter. I was going for a creative writing AA, and then I would decide if I wanted to do anything else. It was going fine until the second quarter started. I had apparently taken all of my language requirements my first quarter with English 101, English 111, and Psychology 101, so I was forced into requirements way outside of my interests. I had to take a math class, Economics 101, and Introduction to Education 101 (which was my choice so the quarter wouldn't be a complete bore). The placement tests placed you in the most advanced math class you had passed, so even though I had already gotten a 100% in that class, I still had to sit through it. I was bored out of my mind every day, didn't even do half of the homework, and still passed the quarter with a 3.8 GPA.

I was starting to sink back into my depression I thought I had left behind at high school, and when my counselor told me that I wouldn't have time to take Creative Writing, that was the final straw. I had already taken all of the classes I had a slight interest in, and I had to sit through another year and a half of requirements. Not to mention not being able to take Creative Writing for my CREATIVE WRITING AA. I fought with my parents about it, and after a month of arguments, I finally convinced them to let me drop out. I got a job, moved out of my parents' house, and now I'm working on writing on my own time. Dropping out of college was the best thing I could have ever done for my life.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I am no longer in school, but I am a lifelong learner :P (yes, that was super cheesy)

I hold my bachelor's in Information Technology with a specialization in Management. Was a four year honours program. Graduated cum laude and on the honour roll.

I also earned my master's in Information Systems and Technology, which I managed to complete in two years. Got better grades than I did in undergrad, but they don't grant any fancy titles for master's degree based on academic standings.

I now work in the fields of eCommerce and Web Development. So, I think my education served me well - at least broadly - beng in that tech meets business realm. Since entering the workforce, I've earned a couple of certifications and am planning on pursuing some more.

It's weird being out of school and still having to study for exams from time to time. Just sends you back in time. lol

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I took my master's comps a few weeks ago and passed, so now all I have to do is transfer in a course I took earlier this year and I'll have my master's degree.

People keep asking me if I'm going to go for my doctorate and I'm like "lolno" - maybe in 10-15 years if I decide I want to teach at a university level, but I'm done with school for the foreseeable future.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Congrats to ya again, Geoff

I've also had people ask me I'm going to go for a PhD, just nope. I have no aspirations to be a teacher. ...If I get a sonic screwdriver out of it though, maybe.

6. Alex

Alex Extremely Super Senior Member

53%
    I’m a high school dropout, but it’s not for reasons you might think. For the entire time I spent in school, I was never put up to challenges, and always remained bored. It seemed like school never had anything to offer people who were as “gifted” as I was, which was terribly disappointing. But it’s not the only reason why.

I guess when you have a father who is stupid enough to take his son off of all of his medications for a year in some vain attempt to “straighten him out”, you end up with a powder keg that was promptly handed over to my mother, upon which I fizzed and exploded everywhere. Add a very bad break-up on top of that, and I was ready – I just stopped giving a shit about so many things, and school was no exception. Even after I moved out of Fountain, I got a no-transportation waiver to continue school there, but eventually I couldn’t be bothered to get up at 03:30 to hike in the snow over a massive ditch and railroad tracks to catch a city bus so I could get a decent education. I couldn’t be bothered to go to school at the new place and do my finals that I knew were going to be piss easy, so I stayed home. Everything bugged me, everything was an annoyance… and I guess I’m paying for that now.