1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy VII Remake Announced, Coming First to PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Site Commentary' started by Rhys, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    View the full article.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I've had a few hours to process this and while I'm still mostly in a total state of disbelief at the fact that it's actually happening, I think I have some thoughts???

1. This has been a long time coming. FF7 might not be the best Final Fantasy, but it's definitely one of the most iconic ones and it's easily the most requested remake, so Squeenix has made a lot of people happy with this announcement. Good for them.
    2. When the heck is this gonna come out? We're supposedly getting more information in winter (not even TGS? Harsh...) but Squeenix has a pretty full plate as far as actually delivering on promises. FF15 is only in the "we can still rework the demo and take major feedback" stage, KH3... got two teasers, likely none of which have any real gameplay, and we know nothing about it...... and now this too? Squeenix's excuses in the past were "this will take too much time/resources" and "we'll only do it when we know we can do it right" sooo....?
    3. Since it's a remake and not a glorified remaster, I assume we'll be getting some references to the FF7 compilation! That's exciting! I couldn't care less about any references to Dirge of Cerberus (ugh) but I'd totally be all about more Zack. *u*
    4. I'm worried that because of the kind of grimdark turn most of the compilation took, they'll tone that up in the remake too. That's disappointing because I'm not a fan of Cloud in any of the extra stuff (or side games, even), whereas in the original game he's easily one of my favourite characters. He's so snarky and he makes so many hilarious comments. Plus, a loooot of scenes in FF7 are completely silly and I worry about how they're gonna pull that off in more realistic settings. I'm worried they'll take out really ridiculous things like when you go into the Honeybee Inn and get those crazy homoerotic scenes???? Those are some of my favourites because they're just so weird.
      [​IMG]
      Will we still get Cloud sharing this bathtub with no fewer than 7 men??? God I hope so.
    5. hOLY SHIT FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I agree that the remake could benefit from some more Zack. :D

And yeah, I expect the game to be somewhat more mature since Nomura's directing, but at the same time, I trust that they understand the quirky scenes that made the original even better. I'm more curious as to how the battle system will be changed, if it'll be changed at all.

Also, one more thing: after they took him off of XV, I never thought he would direct a VII remake, of all things. @.@

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I haven't played the original, sadly, but I'm really curious how Square is going to tackle this. What defines a remaster? Like, clearly they're going with the Advent Children look, which is fairly different in tone and look from the original - even in terms of official artwork from the era. I'd imagine the battle system is dated now?

Like, just take the story and locations and build it up from scratch? Remaster, remake, "inspired by VII", I'm just realy intrigued at how this will turn out. How much can you change and still be VII?

Props to them though for finally making this happen. It's awesome

EDIT: Supposedly, Nomura confirmed to Eurogamer that the more bizarre elements of the original game will be retained, despite the darker aesthetics. Says a tweet I saw but I don't actually see this in the article. So... cool?

#4 TRIFORCE89, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  5. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    So far my favourite news about ff7 remake is that Nomura didn't even know he was the director until a ways into development, when he called up Kitase (director of original ff7) and was like "um this internal memo says I'm the director, but I thought you were the director?" "well I thought you were the director?" "oh, well okay."

Nomura's a mess, I love him.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    lol That kinda reminds me of when Nintendo first announced the development of what would eventually become Brawl, and Sakurai was like "I'm doing what now?"

That's also rather telling for the internal state of Square juggling all these major projects if people don't know who is doing what