1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geoff, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Who all has seen it? What'd you think of it? Good? Bad? Upset that HP is finally coming to a close?

I'm probably going either Tuesday or Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm re-watching all the movies before I go see the final one. I'm just starting Chamber of Secrets right now, and I might try to get Prisoner of Azkaban too in before calling it a night. I've yet to see DH Part 1, but I got it on Blu-ray last week.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'm not upset the film series is coming to a close. The movies have always been an afterthought for me. The series ended for me back in 2007 with the novel.

I liked the movie. I'm surprised I liked the movie because I haven't enjoyed Yates as a director on this franchise. I found all of his movies boring. Except for flashback sequences. Always found the way he shot and presented those to be interesting. But, on the whole, he just sucked the whole feeling of magic out of the series.

With this one, I wasn't bored. It was entertaining, satisfying, and engaging.

I was surprised by the ending. I thought it would be cheesy, but it wasn't. It was handled well. It was trimmed from what was in the book, which was good. But it was also wonderfully nostalgic and nice way to conclude the film series.

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I really enjoyed the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and all of the movie adaptations, with the Half-Blood Prince being my favourite. I cannot imagine this franchise ever being re-imagined on film in the future. How would they attempt to make it different? Better?

There's still one thing I don't understand though, maybe it was explained and I can't remember, but why did Voldemort want to kill Harry as an infant in the first place?

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    SOB. IT'S OVER. I AM UPSET. The series ended for me with the books too, but the movies were something more to look forward to, big events to go to. D: I'm really sad that DH2 was the only one I managed to go to a midnight showing of, since it was honestly the best movie-watching experience I've ever had.

Anyway, I saw the movie with some friends on Thursday. I literally flew halfway across Canada for it. (I was on vacation visiting family in Northern Saskatchewan and flew to Toronto with hours to spare on Thursday night.) We got to the cinema hours in advance so we could line up outside the theatre and get good seats only to find they were letting people in as early 9. XD; So we snagged good seats, made friends with the people around us, and just generally soaked in the atmosphere for a few hours until the movie. Then during the movie, the whole theatre was united, cheering at all the right places, clapping whenever something great happened, and I was somewhat grateful to hear quiet sobs or sniffling while I was crying so I knew I wasn't alone. (Funniest part of the movie was when Harry confronts Voldemort in the forest, the screen shows Voldemort and his underlings and suddenly someone behind us sobbed once, suddenly, and for a second I honestly thought it was supposed to have been Harry. XD) And when the epilogue flashed "19 years later", the theatre was equally split with some people cheering and the rest groaning loudly. It was awesome!

spoilers below i guess. for the series, sure, but for certain scenes too, if you haven't seen the movie itself yet

Movie itself was excellent. The only disappointment was the length--it's the shortest of all the movies so at the end I sort of reflected on it and went "well, they really could have added [scene from book] in, it's not like they were pressed for time...." Like, I was really looking forward to McGonagall's army of desks. The knights were neat but I wanted desks more. XD; And I was disappointed that they used the basilisk's fang to kill like everything, despite FiendFyre being RIGHT THERE and Harry even flung the diadem in after stabbing it which was just dumb. :( And I was hoping they'd mention Lupin & Tonk's child even though he hadn't actually been mentioned before this (just hinted at in an earlier film). And I guess I didn't really like the added part with Snape being the first person to find the Potter's house since that just made him even creepier than usual (I think he is legit my least favourite character in the series and I think his Lily obsession is just sad and pathetic, not tragic and touching and loyal).

But I loved the movie overall! My favourite parts were probably... well, in now super particular order (except the first one:-( the Voldemort-hugging-Draco scene (as I retweeted later and is my favourite quote these days, "On a scale from 1 to Voldemort, how awkward was that hug?"). Then I loved the whole part where Harry realizes he has to sacrifice himself and honestly cried the whole time. XD; And I swear after the "Not my daughter, you BITCH!" line, they left a few seconds to let it settle because they knew every theatre would erupt with cheers and applause over it and they didn't want people to miss it. :P And I also loved essentially the whole battle because it was so epic and even though I knew exactly what would happen, I was still on the edge of my seat, a bit frightened for the school I'd seen and imagined so many times over the years, and sad to see it falling apart. But it was so epic and amazing and it was so amazing to see on screen. I think it might be my absolute favourite movie of the whole bunch.

Also: Potter 3D glasses!
    View attachment 8
    Because of the (self-fulfilling :P) prophecy from book 5. Voldemort knew a prediction had been made that he would fall to a child born in July whose parents would be taken away by the Dark Lord('s followers) or something like that. So instead of waiting for the kid to find him, he tried to nip the prediction in the bud and ended up fulfilling it. :D

5. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    *Is ready to be shouted at*

I blooming HATED the final HP. I just thought it was bored, for me, and it didn't keep me entertained at all. The ending was just a joke, how can you try and pass off pre/early 20 year olds as late 30s?
    I just really didn't enjoy it!

6. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    But Cherrim, wasn't Neville also born in July? And his parents were taken by Death Eaters too. Why did Voldemort go after Harry and not Neville?

7. Cherrim

56%
    They aged them up a bit but didn't do a good job and the epilogue sucked in the book anyway, so if anything they made it better by shortening it!
    I think all of this is answered at the end of book 5/in book 6. I'm only at the beginning of 6 in my most recent reread but as of the end of 5, all Dumbledore said is that it was interesting that Voldemort marked Harry, who isn't a pureblood, as his rival rather than Neville, who is a pureblood. I think Voldemort just kinda picked one and went for it.

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I saw the movie Wednesday, and overall I absolutely loved it. I thought some of the deaths could have been handled better, but overall it portrayed the battle better than the book did. DH-1 was really boring a lot of the time, but DH-2 was pretty action-packed from start to finished and did a good job of adapting the book. And even though I tried to keep my emotions in check, I still teared up a few times.

And the epilogue wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I mean, they did actually look like adults, and they're not supposed to be THAT old. Only in their 30s, and the actors and actresses are in their 20s anyway at this point.

9. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    I haven't seen it yet but I want to go see it badly. I was supposed to go with my uncle but I called one day and asked when we should go check it out and he tells me he had a day off and decided to go see it. So now I don't have a Harry Potter buddy to go see it with. My wife hates it. :(

10. Cherrim

56%
    Snape, Sirius and Lupin are all supposed to be in their 30s during the course of the series and they all look much older than that, especially Snape. :P So looks just aren't a good way of gauging age in the movies, haha.