1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

HD Re-Releases

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cherrim, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Noticed that there are a fair few threads about these here in Console Gaming already so I figured I'd ask about them generally.

What are your opinions on HD re-releases? We're seeing it more and more now that all the big names have embraced high definition. Do you like the fact that old games are getting a revamp so they look better on your big screen TV? Think there are too many diluting the market right now? Would you consider re-buying your favourite series from last gen again so you could enjoy them with larger textures and better resolutions or are you fine with pulling out the old system and playing them how they were originally released? Would you actually buy games that you've played/enjoyed in the past just to see them again in a better resolution or do you only consider buying games that you've never played before and want to try out now?

I've seen a lot of strong opinions about HD releases one way or the other and I'm interested in how people at 4P see them.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I don't necessarily like larger/new textures. To my eyes, they look too different. I'd much prefer a higher native resolution output, but with ugly textures XD Or at least an option to toggle the textures.

Granted, the only HD rerelease I have is Perfect Dark XBLA and I never even played the original Perfect Dark so whatever changes there are don't bother me lol

There's OoT 3D, but that's not HD. Still a retexture though and I hate it. Too cartoony looking, doesn't mimic the look of the original game.

3. Cherrim

56%
    I think I'd find it too frustrating if they didn't update textures. I hate low-res textures in games and I think a lot of current games as it is already could use higher res textures. One of the reasons I wasn't really into the idea of emulating the KH games at a higher resolution was because the textures didn't look good anymore. Everything else was crisp and clear and beautiful when rendered at a decent resolution but textures looked so fuzzy and blurry and gross that it diluted the whole experience for me.

Most HD/improved graphics releases I've played have stayed very loyal to the original as far as textures go or else I didn't play the original enough to notice any big changes. :/

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Well, with OoT 3D... its not that the new textures were bad necessarily. They were actually fine, if subtly different. Which is okay. But rather, they were too bright and vibrant. Which entirely changed the mood of the game for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is some green grass

Although I guess the same complaint can be thrown at the Wii version of Okami with its higher saturation levels.

Yeah, I get that. I mean... they can make it look the same but clearer, that's cool. As long as the design is the same, I'm happy. I'm nitpicky. If some texture had like a swirl on it and now it's going the wrong direction or a different size or something, it'll bug me XD

5. Cherrim

56%
    Mm, I kinda like the new look in all those comparisons. It really does just seem like saturation and I always thought OoT was kind of bland colour-wise to begin with, even in places it probably shouldn't have been. :[ I can see how that would be a bit jarring in adulthood though.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Yeah, I really liked the way OoT 3D looked compared to the original. I think you're just feeding off nostalgia, Triffy. XD

I like HD re-releases as long as they're games that benefit from it. Things like KH and Shadow of the Colossus look (and in the case of Shadow, run) better on the PS3 than on the PS2. Okami looks horrible on an HDTV in its PS2 incarnation, and that's a game that really relies on its art style, so I'm thankful for Okami HD, even if I haven't bought it yet.

On the other hand, The Wind Waker still looks great and holds up well, and I really don't see the need for TWW HD. I think Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask (or even Skyward Sword) would benefit a lot more from being remastered.

7. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

63%
    Sorry for going off-topic a bit, but The Wind Waker HD looks more like a remake than a remaster... I'd go as far as saying they went for an entirely different art direction. It isn't really cel-shaded anymore, and dat bloom / saturation. I'm not gonna say it looks bad, per say, but they definitely did a lot more than what they needed to do, and maybe even should have done.

8. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    The only HD re-release I have is the MGS collection. Part of that is because I'm a raging fanboy, the other part is it contained the reworked MGS: Peace Walker, which plays and looks a lot better on console than it does on PSP. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference with MGS2/3 except for some smoother textures that really didn't change the overall experience.

The most stupid 'HD' Wii-release imo was Resi 4. The gamecube one would work in your wii anyway!

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    They added Wii controls to it, which apparently are a lot more immersive and enjoyable than the Gamecube controls. Probably widescreen too, though I'm not sure. I never played either version.

10. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

63%
    But... It isn't HD. And it did add something useful: Wiimote + Nunchuk controls. When I heard that they weren't included in the PS3 version of RE4, I was sad, because I loved using them on Wii. I hated going back to using a standard controller for the game.

That reminds me, I need to find out if the Move controls for RE5: Gold Edition are any good...

Of course you didn't, you won't play any horror games. :(