1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarkSpade93, Feb 6, 2015.

1. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
  2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I can't believe this is real. Like it has all the makings of one of those stupid "wouldn't it be cool if..." rumours except apparently it's actually true.

I have no idea what to think about it, but pretty much every other Netflix original I've seen has been really good, so I can't say I'm really worried.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    *goes to the MM3DS thread to dig up that gif because it is waaaaay more appropriate here*

[​IMG]

^ honest to god this was me on the train ride home today as I opened up Twitter on my phone and read about this

This is absolutely fantastic if real and it pans out. The key take away from what the WSJ said was "Lord of the Rings", "Game of Thrones", and "family-oriented". Which to me means it will have a big-budget / be well-produced but will be sans LotR's beheadings and GoT's boob-age. There are some taking the "family" bit the wrong way, I think. Doesn't mean kiddie. You can still have death and strong characters and all of that and appeal to families - like the last few Harry Potter films, for example.

I want to see Link and his allies take on a horde of Ganon's army in a gritty battle of swords and magic. Hell yeah. I want this to happen.

I've watched Arrested Development season four which isn't really in the same league lol But I also watch and love House of Cards and that is exceptionally well-produced/written/acted/etc. And I've heard the same about their other shows. So, I feel entirely comfortable if Netflix is doing this.

The Zelda mythos and backstory is mighty strong but the plots to the games themselves are still fairly bookendish. But the manga has shown that those stories can be expanded and elaborated upon with additional characters and scenarios just fine. Heck, "A Link to the Past" alone has seen three different manga retellings over the years - one of which spanned three volumes! I think it's an appropriate pool of material to pull from for a show like this, you can ground it in games but expand and add original content easily.

Will we see a video game based on the show? Will the music of the show be at a future season of the Zelda symphony? Will it be entirely original or based on a game? And a single game or each game is a season? And omg I have so many questions and so much hype.

Live action Sheik, and Ganondorf, and Kokiri Forest, and ReDeads, and aaaaaahhhhhhh this is going to be so damn awesome.

Dear Netflix, please hire me as Zelda-guru or something on this project lol

Netflix doing a Zelda show. Sony doing a Mario movie. This is like some weird alternate version of 1993

[​IMG]

EDIT: Link will talk. He talks in the manga

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    This sounds way too good to be true and I really can't see Nintendo allowing it to happen. Even if it really is in development (and in the early stages as that article says), I'd say there's a good chance they'll kill it off before it gets too far off the ground. Nintendo is way too protective of its IPs and has never been particularly keen on letting them branch out of their defined boxes - of course, look what happened last time they did give their blessing to a TV series or movie.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    They've indicated they're trying to be more flexible, yet still protective, in how they do their licensing

6. Nolafus

Nolafus Critic of everything

68%
    I see this being really good, or absolutely horrible. There is no middle ground.

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    So, since this story first surfaced, Iwata has gone on record as stating: "As of now, I have nothing new to share with you in regard to the use of our IPs for any TV shows or films, but I can at least confirm that the article in question is not based on correct information"

Which is a wonderfully vague statement. What part was correct? What's not correct? The tone wasn't GoT-light? It wasn't a Zelda show but a different IP? It wasn't with Netflix?

That last one apparently

The industry insider rumour mill that is SpoilerTV has revealed the following tonight:

Once rumored in development for Netflix, Nintendo’s “Legend Of Zelda” live action TV series is still alive but with another streaming platform attached: Amazon.

Aiming to be a “Game of Thrones” for a family audience” as reported by The Wall Street Journal at the time of the project’s announcement, epic Zelda would be the perfect bridge between the ambitious and provocative dramas & dramedies Amazon starts delivering (as Transparent or The Man in the High Castle) and their kids’ programming offer including both animated and live action series. A pilot will be shot this August, between New York and Savannah in Georgia, and will join Amazon’s next batch of pilots for an early 2016 due date, alongside Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Casanova, Guillermo Del Toro’s Carnival Row, David E. Kelley’s Trial, possibly Bryan Cranston’s Sneaky Pete previously for CBS and The Untitled Woody Allen Project (if it ever sees the light of day). A new Zelda game for Wii U has recently been postponed to 2016. Coincidence?