1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Announced

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    http://www.fourplaygames.com/1964/news/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-announced/

Thoughts? Blatant SSB ripoff? Do you really care if it is or isn't?
    Despite being pretty blatantly copied from SSB, I think the game still looks promising. The boss battles look fantastic (sorry we don't have screenshots...wasn't sure if they were copyrighted or not, but they're pretty readily available at Joystiq and other sites) and there looks to be a pretty good variety of characters too.

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Sony does what Nintendid ;)

Seriously, this is the ultimate compliment to Nintendo. We're gonna take one of your most successful franchises and replace the Nintendo stuff with Sony stuff. Having a stage being comprised of two franchises doesn't make sense to me btw.

3. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Yeah, this is partially a rip-off but I don't think it's any more of a rip-off than other kart games are of Mario Kart. :P It's a battle royale fighting game. So long as they do something different with the controls or gameplay, I'm sure it'll be great.

I wish there were characters I cared about, though. I'm not a huge fan of Sony's exclusives. Only one I like is Sackboy and I just... don't see him in a fighting game. XD; I really like the cartoony feel of almost all of Nintendo's franchises and they all look pretty okay together on a screen but it's the opposite for Sony. They go with realism over stylization in most of their franchises so Parappa, Patapon and Sackboy are gonna look really out of place. I hope it's not to a distracting amount like it seems in those screenshots though.

4. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    True. When you see all of the Smash characters on screen at the same time it somehow seems right, even when you have two completely different characters like Ganondorf and Jigglypuff. Nothing feels out of place. But when you have the guy from Killzone and Sackboy it just doesn't mesh well. It's bizarre.

Btw, how does Sackboy inflict damage? He's a sack stuffed with fluff :p

And it would be absolutely hilarious if Kevin Butler is a playable character!!!

5. Cherrim

56%
    Yeah, I agree. Even Snake doesn't look too ridiculously out of place next to say, Game and Watch. I just feel like a lot of the Sony characters wouldn't have that kind of compatibility. I also can't imagine Kratos fairly fighting ANYONE since unlike Nintendo characters, he's from a very violent fighting game to begin with. The premise of bringing them all together feels a bit wobbly at best with Sony since they have such different origins for all their franchises. :/

But oh my god, Kevin Butler as playable would seal the deal and make me buy it with no questions, to be honest.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I have to agree, it's a strange mashup to see Kratos next to, say, Sackboy (oh come on, you know he'll be in the game). Kratos rips people apart, Sackboy is...a sack. I just don't see the world being as seamless as Nintendo's franchises coming together.

7. Cherrim

56%
    I really like the stage mashups, though. It seems to be the only thing they're doing differently than SSB and it'll add some degree of interactivity with the level. It'll probably be annoying, yeah, but somehow I don't think anyone will be buying this if they're looking for a plain fighting game with no gimmicks.

:s I just don't think Sony has the memorable IPs to do this right, though.

8. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    And a lot of their characters are people which is boring. With Smash you have: Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, R.O.B, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, etc. So far with PS-All-Stars: Battle Royale (jeez that's a long title) you have: Kratos, Fat Princess, Sweet Tooth, Radec, Sly, and PaRappa the Rapper. Most of these are/resemble humans. And you know they're going to add Nathan Drake so that's another human. Bayonetta's another human. Ico's another human. Cole MacGrath's another human. Too many humans!

9. Cherrim

56%
    I'm fine with humans. I'm not a huge fan of anthros or animals anyway. XD; The only ones I ever used in SSB are the Pokemon.

10. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    They're humans, but they're all unique. Cole can use electricity. Kratos is a walking tank. Bayonetta is... well, crazy. The only truly generic ones are Nathan and Radec, and even then, I'm not sure about Radec, as I haven't played Killzone before.