1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion on how to get more members

Discussion in '4P Questions and Feedback' started by Reddit, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Reddit

Reddit Indubitably.

30%
    Hey, so this is a fairly new forum with a very limited member base. So, I thought of a way to get more members to join this forum. Not much, but some.

Has anyone heard of a site called Reddit? If not, it's a website with an average of 20,000,000 different people visiting everyday - one of the most popular websites on the internet. It's a place - a bit like a forum - where people submit and comment, and the ones people like the most eventually go up in ranking for possibly millions of people to see over the course half a day.

Basically what would need to be done (it should be done by the forum owner) is to create an account with a name something like FourPlayGamesForums and post relevant stories in dedicated places on Reddit (in this case, it would be in /r/gaming which is a subreddit with nearly 800,000 readers.) Post game reviews, be the first to post game news, and things like that. I am not suggesting you submit the forum link and ask people to join, that just looks bad. You have to actually contribute - and if people see a popular post and they see your name, they might google it and join.

You can also buy advertising on the website if you just want to do that - and it's definitely worth the money.

Right now this place is a Pokemon circle jerk. You'll need more than people from PC to grow into a bigger forum, or else you're more than likely going to be stuck as a Pokemon forum with a few extra dedicated subfroums.

2. Furret

Furret The Furret King

12%
    This would work I believe.

I noticed that as well, almost everyone here is from PC. That's a problem with a lot of small forums I see get started by people on PC. It doesn't feel like PC, it feels like "PC with a different owner and forum layout" But this place doesn't seem as bad as some. But we really need more members.

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Well, when someone starts a forum, they draw from other places where they're active to form a core member base, then once the forum gets established (gets good search rankings in Google, gets a good content base, etc.) then you'll start seeing random people join and the forum start to expand. I don't see how we're a "Pokemon forum with a few extra dedicated subforums" though, just because we have a good number of members from PC. :/

We are looking into ways to promote the forum as well, so I'll definitely look into Reddit and see if it's feasible at this point. We're gradually building a good content base on the main site, so the more we get the word out, the sooner people will start to take notice.

4. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Use youtube to advertise. I don't mind leaving a link to 4p when I start my mw3 commentaries / retro letsplays and whatnot.

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    We have a Youtube channel that's gone fairly unused lately, but I'm going to be posting more vids to it - mostly trailers when they're released. Each of our YT vids have a link to the site in the description, but we haven't really gotten much traffic from them. Still, any type of advertising would be great, so thanks Matt!