1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geoff, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Since the movie just came out, do we have any fans of the series here?

I read the books a few months back and I'm planning on going to see the movie this week. Everyone I've talked to who's seen it says it's a really good adaptation of the book, so I'm pretty stoked.

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    You know how much I love the series. :p

Yeah, I'd say the movie is the best book-based film I've ever seen, or at least in a long time. Only a few things were altered (Which I normally wouldn't care about, but in this case, THG already had an excellent story, so there was no need to change a lot of things), although I do wish they had included a few more plot elements from the book, like (Spoilers) the muttations that looked like the dead tributes and Katniss getting the mockingjay pin from Madge. Also, the only thing really holding the film back was the PG-13 rating, because a lot of the violence wasn't as severe as it was in the book. Regardless, it's a great movie.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I haven't read the book. I've been trying to avoid it because the whole premise just seems so outlandish to me. But, I think I'll try to read it this summer.

Not particularly interested in the movie since I haven't read the book.

4. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I haven't read the books so I can't comment on whether I like them or not. But, unlike TRI89, the premise doesn't seem outlandish to me. The idea of humans killing humans for the entertainment of other humans has been done before. In fact, for centuries. Anybody remember the Roman gladiators? The deadly duels were like an ancient form of reality television. People would gather in the stands and watch men slaughter each other.

Also, The Hunger Games remind of The Most Dangerous Game. A hunter embarks on the ultimate hunt to kill the ultimate prey: humans. He gathers a bunch of people, gives them a head start to try and run and hide, and then he proceeds to hunt them. In fact, this story appears quite often in popular culture (you may know The Most Dangerous Game from one of The Simpson's Tree house of Horrors episodes).

It also reminds of the reality show Survivor, without the killing of course.

All I'm saying is, I'm sure the books are good, very good from what I've heard, but the story's been beaten to death. Pun intended.

5. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I watched the film and liked it so much that I bought all three books. It's not about killing other people for sport, it's a criticism of human nature itself and the class system. The main character kills very few people herself, constantly questions the morality of heer actions and even bonds with another tribute.

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I loved the first book, although I only got around to reading it last year. I devoured the second two books once I got a Kindle for Christmas and while the writing was still good, I kind of hated the direction the series went. (In fact, partway through the third book I had to set it down and look up the wikipedia article to make sure I was reading the real third book and not fanfiction-passed-off-as-the-third-book.)

But I still really like the series and I was so excited to see the movie. :D I went with my mom to see it in IMAX. We both agreed that it was the best adaptation of a book we had ever seen. Almost everything was perfect and the few things that weren't didn't bother me much at all. I re-read the first book last night and I'm seeing the film again tomorrow.

7. Andy

Andy Level 5

20%
    I haven't read the books but I've seen the movie twice and I love it. I'm going to read the books because of it. But I'm glad I didn't read the books first because then I would have been nitpicking through the entire movie lol

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I thought the movie was a really good adaptation - it was a lot more faithful to the books than a lot of book-movie adaptations, and it was a damn good movie in general to boot. The only thing I didn't like was that...
    Rue wasn't developed enough as a character. In the book her death was absolutely heartbreaking, and in the movie, while she was adorable, she and Katniss never developed the relationship that they did in the book. So you didn't really care as much when she died because she'd had all of 5-10 minutes of screentime.

9. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I still cared that she died and sobbed over it. ;~;

Mind you, I teared up every time I saw Rue, so I think I was probably crying more for book!Rue. xD

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    omg I did the same thing. The first time I saw her I was like "omg Rue ;;" and every time she popped up after that. They casted her perfectly, but they needed to give her more screentime and develop her relationship with Katniss.