1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The WiiU

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Marz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Marz

Marz Level 1

40%
    Nintendo unveiled not a new console game system, but a radically changed controller. What are your thoughts on the WiiU, set to revolutionize Wii gameplay and the way we play games in general?

At first I thought the Wii was stepping into the tablet business lol.. But it seems pretty cool. Don't have a Wii though so I'll probably never try it. :\

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It was a console reveal though...they just never bothered to show the actual system during the conference.

I think the controller has a lot of potential, but I thought it was the most botched revealing of any console I've ever seen. They needed some game announcements and some live gameplay demos during the conference. Some things really worry me about it, like no included HDD, the physical size of the controller, and the fact that it's going to be outclassed in power when PS4 and Xbox 720 come out.

3. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    I think I am the only one in the world who didn't like the Wii U. It seemed like a rushed announcement in the fact that there were no demos, apart from a trailer which was boring.
    The lack of HDD is just annoying me with Nintendo now, they keep doing it and they have to realise not everyone likes having to get SD cards to accommodate anything on the flaming thing.

When they said that 1080p games would be supported and everyone cheered, I just groaned. It has taken them over 5 years to get their act together with a HD console, great, but it is going to be outclassed very soon!

I am just very confused as to what this is. Is it just a device to keep people happy for a little bit since the big dogs will be releasing their consoles in the near future? Is it going to be another 3DS? Just not supported for ages? Who knows.

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Really? I think the Wii's initial revealing was worse, back when it was still the Revolution. We *saw* it, the console but nothing else. We were told about backwards compatibility with all Nintendo games (this ended up being the Virtual Console) and that the control would be wireless (we didn't know about the motion yet). That was it.

At least we got to see stuff this time. And the press there get to try it out on the floor. It's not ready for launch and there was nothing to show. Iwata said later he shouldn't have mentioned Smash because it is literally nothing more than a thought at the moment, development hasn't started. They're just trying out some experiments and we're seeing those experiments. It was a bit like the first year of DS at E3, at least with what was playable on the floor. There were a lot of third-party games announced, and Nintendo showed a few things in video only.

The controller needs work. I wish it were more controller-like, and less like a tablet. I like the idea. I like the streaming, and the touch, but it just looks so damn bulky.

I was hoping for something more like a widescreen Game Boy Advance (the original one, not the SP or anything else) with:
    - GameCube or Classic Controller Pro grips
    - Two GameCube analogue sticks (they're the best I think Nintendo's released, the actual control stick one, not the c-stick)
    - Game Boy Advance d-pad (but smooth like on the DS lite and after, not textured)
    - SuperNES Y, X, A, and B buttons
    - Mic and camera like on the 3DS
    - +, -, and Home buttons like on the Classic Controller Pro
    - L and R like on the Game Boy Advance
    - Trigger buttons like on the Xbox 360 (but more pressure sensitive like on the GameCube)
    - Vita-sized screen
    - Ergonomics like the GameCube controller
    - Everything in "Wii White" (and some clear buttons like on the Wiimote/Classic Controller)

But nope. We got the tablet, which apparently they looked at with the Wii the first time around early on in development.

My concern is that now that the idea is out there, what will make it special by the time it's released aside from the fact that it has Nintendo making games for it? iPad apps are going to try to do something like this in some fashion by the time it's launched. Sony now too said they're going to look into doing something similar between Vita and PS3. Soo...

5. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I dunno, the controller really really puts me off, it looks so uncomftable.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The controller is really big...I have pretty big hands so I shouldn't have too much trouble, but I can't imagine someone with small hands being able to use it. :/

7. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    There is no chance that this console can really take off. It will appeal to the Nintendo fanboys who think it is the best thing since sliced bread, but really? It will have to have some amazing functionality and amazing games, but I don't see it happening.

8. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    Right now it looks pretty impressive to me, and I'm sure it'll be a good system.
    Nintendo could make tonnes of money off people who buy it just because of the revolutionary controller. They were pioneers for the motion gameplay and now for this new touchscreen controller. Nintendo never seems to fail to disappoint, I'm sure it'll do well.

9. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    People were said the same about the Nintendo Wii and about it's nontraditional controller and let's face it, Nintendo was successful. It was the highest selling console for its generation. Nintendo ALWAYS does well if you want to look at statistics. It may not be the same stuff we remember as kids growing up with the NES, SNES, N64, and etc but it is that for younger kids. The Wii U will be no different and I believe it will do even better since the gaming market is more open for M rated games and cross-platform gaming.

10. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    The Wii was popular for about a year then it started to die down, now look at it. I can only feel the same is going to happen for the WiiU.