1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

What Are Your Thoughts on the Current Generation?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by TRIFORCE89, Mar 24, 2015.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Last-gen I wasn't thrilled with achievements and DLC, but this (next) gen?

Games broken on release and for months afterward, multitude of store-exclusive editions, even worse - the "day one" edition, GBs-sized patches, updates for controllers, HD remasters of already HD games

wtf is going with the industry?

*steps off his soapbox*

(on the other hand, Nintendo's having quite first-party renaissance lately. So, hooray \o/)

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    So far it's been "meh" to say the least. Neverending delays, disappointment after disappointment, broken games, more rote sequels and yearly installments, DLC gouging, huge day-one patches...the industry just seems to be devoid of inspiration and intent on milking every last dime out of customers. If you don't like uninspired AAA garbage or low-budget indie games, there's very little for you since the mid-tier developers and "B+" type games are going extinct one by one.

Not to mention this is the slowest start to a generation ever - a year and a half in and we have only one or two must-have games for next gen, and it doesn't look like we're going to start seeing any real big-name exclusives until 2016 with Uncharted kicking things off. After playing Halo 4, I have very low expectations for 5 - 343 doesn't seem to understand what made Halo so great when Bungie developed it, and 4's campaign was fairly lackluster on top of it all. And there's such a dearth of new IPs. Shadow of Mordor was pretty good, and Sunset Overdrive was fantastic, but there's really nothing comparable to the Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect of last gen.

Nintendo is an exception, of course. Although their releases are a bit less inspired and more by-the-numbers lately - 3D World was a great game but not as innovative as Galaxy, Tropical Freeze was incredible 2D platformer but didn't really do anything new, the new Zelda looks like it's trying too hard to be Skyrim, etc. Not every game needs to push the envelope and do something new and innovative, but Nintendo has traditionally been known for doing that with its core franchises.

3. Nolafus

Nolafus Critic of everything

68%
    I haven't even considered getting a new system, so that kind of speaks for itself. I'm still waiting for the next Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect games, which could be a while. Oh well, I'll just stay back in my corner and count the seconds.

I was never really into gaming news or anything, and even I know this year has started out lackluster. I haven't heard anything that a new game is taking the world by storm, which is something I heard of at least twice a year with the last gen consoles. I just hope there's a company out there that's willing to take risks, but the gaming industry doesn't know what it wants until it has it. Like it or not, but the continuous sequels and reboots are the top sellers, which doesn't mean well if we say we're looking for innovation.