1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you even exist?!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Geoff, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Sometimes there are series or even whole genres of games that just make you seethe with rage at the mere thought of them. If you could rid the world of any genre of game (or series), what would it be and why?

For me it would be platformers. With very few exceptions they're just holdovers of archaic gameplay, riddled with trial and error and the only difficulty coming from sheer frustration. There's rarely any type of story or cohesion - you're just jumping through random disjointed landscapes without a clear purpose, collecting trivial trinkets just for the sake of collecting them. That type of gameplay worked back in the early years of gaming, but gaming has evolved past that point now.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Sports games. If you want to play sports, go outside. Also, they seem needlessly complex and see little improvement with each version. I'm more favourable to the arcade types that stretch the rules as opposed to the simulation games

They are frustrating if you suck at it :P Honestly, you have eyes. You should know not to jump into a bottomless pit. Not hard.

And you don't need a story or purpose. The idea is simply to have fun. Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island. Platforming bliss. If you haven't played them from start to finish you are missing out big time

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I think Erica said it best:
    Bliss and platforming don't belong in the same sentence. In my world, anyway..."hell" would be a better term for any type of platforming. I want my games to have some sort of purpose...not just "collect x number of y!"

4. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    To be fair, they really are pretty cheap in a lot of games. I know that in the Sonic the Hedgehog games, especially Rush, Unleashed and Generations, it's hard to tell if a drop is bottomless or not. It's a bit easier in the latter two games thanks to the camera, but in the side-scrolling games, it's nearly impossible.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I think I need to do a Let's Play of those three games (maybe SMB, also) and force you to watch

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I would probably enjoy watching more than I would playing them myself. XD

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Hmm... I'll need to look into that then

8. Hotspot

Hotspot Level 3

36%
    As said above, I think sports games are pointless...just go play outside. The only time I think it's okay is if you have a disability that would not allow you to play.

I also do not understand why people make video games out of movies, 99.9% of the time... video games based off of movies are just terrible.

9. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    It's part of merchandising. Along with T-shirts, toys, various business promotions, and other things, video games related to movies (typically the movies guaranteed to be blockbusters) are made to make a profit and they do. Yeah they're bad but that's because the developers know people will buy them anyway so they don't have to put much effort into it.

10. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Why they make them? Money. Marketing

Why people buy them? I dunno.

But there are some good ones. Both GoldenEyes, some good Star Wars games, Spider-Man 2