1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Xenoblade Chronicles

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, May 2, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Who's playing it? I bought it at release (in the US) but it got put on the backburner because I was still working on Tales of Graces F. Now I'm playing it and getting into it, and it's pretty good. Unlike any JRPG I've ever played - it has a lot of traits of WRPGs and MMOs, while still being unmistakeably a JRPG.

It takes it a couple hours to get going, but now that the story is moving along a bit I'm really enjoying it.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I didn't realize that the soundtrack was a joint effort between Yoko Shimomura and Yasunori Mitsuda. I'll be picking it up at some point just for that, likely. (Though I need to get around to listening to the soundtrack first.)

I have literally zero interest beyond the soundtrack, though. I've only heard great things about it from one person who's far in and I don't really trust that person's taste in JRPGs very much. :x

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The soundtrack is excellent, and I'm enjoying the game even though I'm not too far into it. Unless I'm the one that you don't trust. XD

4. Cherrim

56%
    No, it's this guy I know on Twitter who insists the best FF was FF12. :P

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    That sounds interesting. Do you think I'd like it given that I'm not huge RPG fan?

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It really depends. I mean, it's very open and doesn't really hold your hand and yank you through the plot like most JRPGs, but at the same time you'd probably think a lot of the side quests are pointless. It's worth a try though - it's definitely different from pretty much every JRPG out there.

7. Hotspot

Hotspot Level 3

36%
    I heard about the game and it sounds really interesting; a friend of mine has it and she thinks it's awesome. She thinks of it as the true Final Fantasy XIII, because she hated FF XIII. XD

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I've been playing this game a bit more recently. I'm in a pretty infuriating dungeon right now (Ether Mines, gah) but overall the thing that impresses me the most is the sheer size and scope of the environments. They're absolutely massive. The graphics themselves aren't that great, but the sheer scale of environments that the game is rendering makes up for it.

9. Cherrim

56%
    ...to an outsider, that honestly just sounds like they made the environments too big for the console it was on and had to make sacrifices and cut corners in order to accomodate their design choices. :(

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    That came out wrong. I meant that the environments are massive - and they're gorgeous too. On a technical level some of the graphics aren't that great - textures, some character models/faces, etc. but the environments are incredibly impressive.