1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Light of Death, Red Ring of Death, and all other types of death

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Have you ever experienced a console failure? Whether it be a software error, hardware failure, or dropped it and shattered it into a million pieces, have you ever had a console die?

Obviously inspired by Erica's PS3, may it rest in peace. :(

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    My Xbox 360 is still alive and kicking despite having a couple of a freakout occurences where... it just needed a break apparently. Some rings lit up, but never got the full RROD.

Oddly, it's Nintendo consoles that I've had poor luck with. My SuperNES needed a new power source (to be fair, this didn't occur until... uh... well into when I had my GameCube XD), my purple GameCube stopped reading discs and I replaced it with a silver one, and my Wii also stopped reading discs last year. I had it repaired, got the disc drive replaced

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Huh. I've never had any problems with Nintendo consoles. In fact, the only real console I've ever actually had problems with is my current Xbox 360, and that's only on occasion.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    /interrupts her candlelit sigil to post

My 360 RRoD'd a while back. It was juuust within warranty, I believe, since I got it fixed no problem. Replacement actually came a few days later which was nice. (Although my replacement console had this big scratch in it--bothered me to no end originally but I don't notice it now.)

Aaand my PS3 died last night. :( I was in the middle of a boss fight in Shadow of the Colossus when it just cut out and turned off and I got the yellow light. Won't turn on now. It's a problem with the cooling systems, I believe. This explains why the fan was so goddamn loud when I was trying to play Final Fantasy XIII-2 on it in April... although it gave no indications otherwise (including while playing last night) that something was wrong.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Sigil or vigil?

Is there magic involved?

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Um, I probably meant vigil. But if witchcraft will bring my PS3 back for less than $100, I'm open to that too.

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    That's worth exploring I think

8. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    I've had my Xbox 360 crap out on me three times. They were going to get me a brand new one if it failed again, but the warranty was up before it died, so I had to run out and get one of the new sleeker versions. It hasn't failed at all since then (knock on wood).

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    My 360 never RRODed and went out of warranty last August. I noticed not long after that it was starting to make strange noises and had trouble reading discs sometimes...so I was really afraid it was going to die. Plus it was a 60GB and was filling up. GS had a trade promo going on back at the beginning of the year, so I traded it in for a Slim. It's so much quieter and runs so much cooler.

10. Usagi

Usagi Think of all the fellas I haven't kissed

70%
    Oi vey, I've had this problem. My Xbox 360 red ringed on me three times, before I finally replaced it with a slim last month. Much needed improvement. None of my Nintendo systems have ever given me problems, with the exception of my NES, but it's old and used so I'll probably be looking for a new one soon.