1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Fortress 2 is now free

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Geoff, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
  2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Well, it is 4 years old and was originally not even a full stand-alone game. Maybe they figure most people who were going to buy it in the first place probably already own it. That and while I don't understand the whole hats thing, apparently it's already pretty lucrative? Valve is smart and obviously it makes enough to keep the servers running without needing the initial game fee or else in the long run, the amount of people it'll draw onto the Steam platform is enough to offset whatever Hat Fortress 2's microtransactions don't pay for.

Anyway all this really means to me (since I never really got into TF2 when it was solely about the game, nevermind the hats) is that I'll probably get more random adds and PMs asking for my rare medal that I'm not going to give up because I'm a hoarder. >:O

3. Michael

Michael Level 3

8%
    I had a feeling Valve was going to do this. It seems like a lot of the gaming industry is starting to move over to the F2P business model, which can be a bad thing and a good thing. It doesn't really bother me that I paid for the game though, as it came with the Valve Complete Pack anyway.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Even if you did pay for it before, you're automatically upgraded to a premium account, so at least they're offering something for those of us who purchased the game. I'm glad people who never bought it have a chance to play it now though.

5. Fleexie

Fleexie Level 2

20%
    I just think its good.
    I did not had it before. Because I was thinking that its maybe one of the games which gets boring quick

6. Michael

Michael Level 3

8%
    Yeah, I actually just found out about that recently. I was unaware of that when I first posted, but I'm glad that they gave some kind of reward to the original fan base.

How much does it cost for a premium account? Is it a one time thing or a subscription?

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    You get a premium account any time you buy something from the TF2 store. Apparently it doesn't matter how much it costs or what it is, just as long as you buy something.

8. Michael

Michael Level 3

8%
    Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know Geoff.

9. DetectionZero

DetectionZero Level 2

20%
    RIP.... pretty much

There will be trolls, hackers, noobs. Banned? No problem, just make a new Steam.

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Valve says they're taking measures to prevent things like that from happening, but I'm not sure how much they can really do.