1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

3DS eShop Update Coming June 6th

Discussion in 'Handheld Gaming' started by Geoff, May 12, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
  2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    And recently announced to be available at launch is Pokedex 3D...yay?

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    At least it's free. It's a really nice looking program...I just wish you didn't have to use StreetPass and stuff to unlock Pokemon.

4. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    Tag Mode-style stuff was annoying enough in games like TWEWY (earth to Japan: people play games outside of Tokyo and we don't have their population density) but having stuff like this embedded in various features of a whole game system is even worse. Streetpass is one of the things I hate about the 3DS, and not just because it's designed specifically for Japan. It's also a thinly-veiled attempt to be able to overwrite CFW installations (if any are ever created for the 3DS) just by coming into contact with another nearby 3DS. If you ever want to use homebrew or region-unlock your 3DS, you'll have to keep your 3DS permanently disconnected from the internet and stay indoors with it (unless there's an option to disable Streetpass).It's a shame about the Pokedex app, it looked pretty fun to be free.

5. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I don't mind streetpass type things too much since I live in a huge city and head to two cons (an anime con and an anime/gaming/scifi/comic/horror/etc con) a year so I neeever have a problem finding people to interact with for things like TWEWY's mingle mode and whatnot but... wow, meeting up with someone reverts your firmware? :/ That's the first I've heard of it and I'm unimpressed.

6. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    Yeah, streetpass can cause a 3DS to silently download a firmware update from another 3DS, even when there's no wifi connection. If the 3DS is ever hacked, you pretty much have to completely quarantine your 3DS. No connections to the internet, other 3DSes, or even to legit game carts as it's almost certain that Nintendo will start making firmware upgrades mandatory to play certain games and will have on-cartridge firmware updates as they did with Wii discs.

I'm not exactly what you'd call urban and, even then, there are no good hubs of nerd-dom to try Mingle Mode-ish things in around here, so I've had to use various exploits to unlock features in games that rely on DS interaction T_T I cheesed Mingle Mode by connecting my DS to the DS demo download station on the Wii repeatedly, and in DQIX where I had to mingle with 30 other people just to unlock all of the rooms in the Quester's Rest I had to get my 2nd DS, put a rom of DQIX on my R4, manually swap out save files people had uploaded online, and have the DSes communicate with each other 30 times. It was an enormous pain and I'm not looking forward to having even worse forms of this in 3DS games.

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I'm pretty underwhelmed with the update. The selection is tepid at best, and some of the prices are outrageous. Plus the fact that GB games have no Super GB or even GB color selection - they're all in black and white or puke green. And no 3DSWare available at launch other than the Pokedex. The 3D trailers are phenomenal though, but having to download them rather than just view them is a hassle.