1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Best 2D to 3D Transition

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Some games like Sonic and Castlevania seem to have been better off left 2D. But some series have done very well, if not better, after entering the 3D world. What series do you think had the best transition between 2D and 3D?

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Hey now, some of the 3D Sonic games are good. I like Adventure 2 and Generations. Heck, I'm one of the few people that sorta liked Sonic 2006.

I think Zelda had a pretty good transition. The 3D games managed to introduce new stuff thanks to the, well, three dimensions, but they were still really similar to the 2D games in terms of basic gameplay and such.

I also think Metroid's transition was really good. The Prime series still felt like Metroid games, even with the addition of different visors and some other things.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Hey! Sega and Sonic Team finally ironed out the 3D Sonic formula with Colors and Generations. Generations was great.

I think the Nintendo holy trinity transitioned really well. Zelda needs a bit a more enemy coverage in the overworld though. Otherwise good. The Metroid Prime series was a fantastic translation of the formula and improved upon it.

While I like Super Mario 64, it isn't really a Mario game to me. Just a game with Mario in it. He didn't really make the transition with 3D games that were true to his gameplay formula until EAD Tokyo got hold of it with Galaxy and 3D Land. But they are great.

4. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Zelda made a really decent transition and whilst I do not think OOT is as good as people say (MM was much better imo) I do think it was a beautiful and faithful step up from ALTTP. MM, WW, TP and SS were all fantastic 3D adventures to boot.

Metal Gear as a series is another good one, and although MGS1 has not aged as well as some other 3D transitions at the time it was ground breaking whilst remaining faithful to Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Every subsequent MGS has built on this and further improved the 3D approach.

Final Fantasy 7 imo looks like shit and it doesn't play great either. The characters and plot were less than amazing and it doesn't touch FF6 in any way shape or form, but FF8 and FF9 especially really did make a decent transition from 6, correcting a lot of the mistakes made with 7. Since then, from a visual and technical standpoint, the series has continued to improve as a 3D medium.

Super Mario to a degree has done this too, whilst (at the time) SM64 was a really decent game and a brilliant transition, it wasn't a theme that continued until Galaxy. Every 3D Mario game outside of SM64 and the first Galaxy (the second shouldnt even be counted as a game, it's an expansion pack at best) have been terrible in comparison to the 2D ones. Even the 2.5D styled titles do not hold up great. I think however this is an inherent problem with platformers though as Rayman 2 and 3 were awful, as are most 3D Sonic titles.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I thought Rayman 2 was considered a classic? I've never played it, but people love and its been re-released many times like that game would.

6. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Compared to the original 2D Rayman it's clunky, it doesn't look great and the controls are far from perfect. I worded my comment badly, I meant to say that in the same way that most Mario 3D titles are shit compared to the 2D classics, the same can be said for Rayman.