1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

February 20 PlayStation Announcement - "See the future [of PlayStation]"

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%

So, Sony's announced that on February 20, it'll be showing "the future of PlayStation." While there's always the possibility that they could just be talking about new PS3 and Vita games, the fact that they didn't outright say that and instead released a hype-inducing trailer with little extra info says otherwise, if you ask me. I think we're about to see the next PlayStation.

What do you guys expect from the announcement-- just the console, or maybe a game or two as well? What do you hope the console will feature?

Personally, I think we're just going to get a look at the console's name and design, with maybe a short sizzle reel of footage from games in development. We probably won't see a lot of info until E3, when Sony will undoubtedly showcase more PS4 games. As for what I'd like this hypothetical PlayStation 4 to support, I'd love to see backwards compatibility for PS3 games-- while PS2 and PS1 would be awesome as well, I highly doubt they'll bother going that far considering they already got rid of PS2 support in recent PS3 revisions. I also want to see continued support for PS3's PSN service, and maybe a new internet browser that doesn't quite suck as much as the PS3's.

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I don't think any games will be shown or announced. Just the new console, the name (my bet is on PS4 :P ), and perhaps the specs.

From what I understood, Microsoft was supposed to go first with making the announcement of their new console. I guess Sony got tired of waiting.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Yeah, Sony had said before that they were going to wait for the competition first, if I remember correctly. I think they realized that that may not be such a good idea after all, as there would be more people going for said competition than them, sort of like with the current generation.

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I think there's a lot more life in the PS3, so I hope it isn't the start of another generation just yet for those two platforms.

And.... how about they both reveal it at E3 and then nobody's ahead of anyone?

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    This generation has lasted longer than any previous generation of consoles, so it's no surprise to be seeing a new PS and Xbox this year. As for myself, I'm really not looking forward to it - I enjoy my PS3 and 360 and I'm not ready to move on yet. Honestly, I would love to see this gen last even longer - I think a lot of the reason it isn't is because developers are begging for new hardware and are pretty much unwilling to innovate on old hardware...hence why nearly every game released nowadays is a generic clone or by-the-numbers sequel. I really don't think there will be such a technical leap as there have been in previous generations, so they'll rely on more gimmicks like Kinect built-in to the console.

I'm honestly thinking about just keeping my Wii U as my next-gen console and becoming more of a PC gamer, rather than dump hundreds into new consoles. Regardless, I highly doubt I'll get either of them for some time after they release.

But that said, I'm really not sure what to expect from the 20th. I think they'll save the "big reveal" for E3 and this will just be a brief teaser - maybe some footage, showing off the console, etc. I think E3 is when we'll see both Sony and MS share the big details.

6. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
  7. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    So I was wrong. They showcased games but they never showed the console itself or gave the price. Guess that info will be revealed at E3 ('memba that thing?)

Also, I think this is the first time I quoted myself. It feels weird. :mellow:

8. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    So, from what we saw today, I think the Wii U is just fine graphically.

Knew it wouldn't look that different

(Also, the guy who was being all creepy with car doors is this conference's giant enemy crab moment)

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Thoroughly unimpressed by what we saw today. The same old bullshit from this gen: a push for social media, "connectivity", and generic shooters...only slightly prettier. Was really underwhelmed by the graphics (though I've said all along that there wouldn't be much of a graphical leap). Like Triffy said, Wii U should be just fine.

10. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I wasn't impressed at first - delayed reaction, I guess - but when I woke up today and looked back on everything that was shown and announced... I'm fairly excited. The DualShock 4 looks to be everything I wished the DualShock 3 was (Complete with not-bad analog sticks, improved triggers, and a better d-pad), and the games... Wow. Not everything there looked stellar in the visuals department, but games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Deep Down, and Knack really looked great. Watch_Dogs looked pretty good too, though it still suffers from the lackluster Ubisoft Montreal animations I've come to expect after playing Assassin's Creed for so long.

As for the new social features... Everything looks really good except for the fact that they'll be using real names more often now. I would really like to continue using an alias online, though they said it won't be an issue when playing games, so eh. I'm really looking forward to the sharing capabilities, as one thing I've always wanted to do is record/stream and share my own gameplay with other people, but because I don't want to invest in a really expensive capture card, it's been an impossibility for me outside of Black Ops II. Looking forward to this stuff.

"The exquisite feeling of opening the door..."

You're never impressed by anything, Debbie Downer.