1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy X HD

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cherrim, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I'm gonna put this here, even though for a long time FFXHD was going to be Vita only. :x I figure more people will be interested in it for PS3 anyway.

It was recently announced that the FFX HD re-release will include FFX-2 on PS3. Vita versions will be sold separately in Japan. Both will be the International versions. It hasn't been announced for North America but I have no doubt it will make its way here considering Square-Enix is synonymous with the brand here--even moreso than it is in Japan.

So, thoughts? I'll be really excited to play the International versions. I'm glad we'll get a chance to, if it comes over here. I'd really like to get it on Vita over PS3 because I prefer handheld games nowadays but there's no reason to if they split the release on Vita like they are in Japan... so I guess I'll probably get it for PS3 if that's the case. (I'd probably pay a bit extra if they include cross-play with it, but Square-Enix is pretty stingy on things like that.)

I'm especially excited about X-2, I'm kind of ashamed to say. It was my first Final Fantasy because I'm an idiot so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. I also vastly prefer its battle system over X's so I've always had more fun playing it than X.

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    But... The PS3 version was announced alongside the Vita version. Wasn't it?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I kinda like what they're doing with the re-releases; from what I've seen, the Vita editions are essentially just touched-up versions of the originals in HD, while the PS3 games could almost be called remakes, at least in terms of visuals. Gives people a chance to play the game on modern hardware, while also letting them decide if they'd like a more original experience or something a bit fresher.

That said, I don't quite like what they've shown of the PS3 version. It looks pretty good (going by the low-quality scans), but the characters are... different, if Tidus is anything to go by. I'm glad they went out of the way to make it more than a simple remaster, but still, it bugs me.

Overall, they seem great, especially since they're basing the releases on the international editions. I can't wait to try them sometime.

3. Cherrim

56%
    Was it? I guess I probably wasn't paying attention because no one else seemed to be really impressed by the fact that it was for PS3 too all of a sudden this week and I thought everyone would be really excited about that if it was new news. o_O I'd been operating under the assumption that it was Vita-only since its announcement though. I remember it was one of the reasons I always had tucked away in my brain for why I should pick one up. (Regardless, that makes my "where the heck do I put this" even more valid then. XD)

I agree on what you said about Tidus though. I glanced at one of the magazine scan examples of new character models being "better"... and was really impressed by one picture in the comparison being so much more expressive. Then I read the blurb next to it and the one I thought looked a lot better was just an original PS2 screenshot and the lifeless one was the new model. Wasn't very impressed by that. D: I mean, they are just low-res magazine scans so far, so maybe we just can't see the difference yet but if what you said is true and the Vita version is basically a touchup whereas the PS3 version will be more changed like in the scans... I might end up spending more just to buy both Vita versions. ~_~

Doesn't really dampen my excitement for X-2 International though. I really wanna play Last Mission. :D

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    What is with Square Enix? Final Mixes, International Versions... why can't they make one game and stick with it?

Besides money.

5. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    You just answered your own question. :P

6. Cherrim

56%
    Same reason there are about a million different releases of each Star Wars movie, I assume. People will buy it every time with a new piece of content slapped on.

Though at least SE generally just has the one extra release. I bet you they were absolutely giddy in the studio when they realized that HD collections were catching on, though. More excuses for a new release with minimal effort! :P

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Except, I'm assuming Square's games get better unlike Star Wars where they got worse with each revision (at least four so far)

8. Cherrim

56%
    Well, yes. It was just the first thing with a lot of releases that popped into my head aside from Blade Runner, haha.

9. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    So, high-res screenshots and stuff. :D The game doesn't look quite as bad as I thought. Still different, but not too different, I suppose. I'm not gonna say much more until we see the trailer on Monday, though.

They've gotten a bit better recently. The last two examples I can think of are Birth by Sleep Final Mix and Re:coded, and those came out years ago.

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    So...I really want this on the Vita since OLED + portable FFX = amazing. However, really bummed that the games aren't bundled like they are on the PS3. I mean, $40 for FFX/X-2 on PS3 is a really good deal - not sure how they're going to work pricing on the Vita version. If they're $20 each, it'll definitely be worth it. However, I'm sure there will be Square tax and they'll at least be $30 each - if not full $40 each for X and X-2. Just going to have to wait and see, but I'd much rather play on Vita.