1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cherrim, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I picked up Final Fantasy XIII-2 the other week. I finally found a place that had the PS3 Collector’s Edition so I snatched it up only for it to go on sale on Amazon like a week later fffff.

Anyway, I got around to playing it the other week. I had to cut my time short because KH3D arrived but I still played a great deal and I did beat it. If anyone liked the first game and is on the fence about 2, go for it. The battle system was improved greatly and it’s a lot more streamlined now. The monsters sound gimmicky but they’re easy to get used to and I got so attached to most of mine. (Hot Dog the Miniflan was kind of the best member of my party for the whole game.) The plot is so-so, but the amount of side quests and exploration you get to do, especially compared to the first game, really makes it feel more polished and draws you in more. I had a lot of fun and it’s one of the few games where I’m just itching to go back and do completion. (And that will be difficult, because there is a lot to do.)

The only thing I didn’t like was the ending:
    What the heck was that! I rushed through it since my 3DS had already arrived and I wanted to move on (but didn’t want to leave FFXIII-2 hanging at the end) and I was just amazed at how… bad it was. That cliffhanger? I’m surprised I wasn’t spoilt for it. o_O I’m so mad at them over this! Especially since they don’t seem to be making a XIII-3 so it looks like the conclusion to the “To be continued…” after everyone dies is going to be DLC. I suspect it’s tied into the Lightning DLC coming out next month and that really bugs me because if they can do this for their main FF titles, what’s going to stop Square-Enix from doing it for all of their series? From what I’ve heard, the Sazh DLC that already came out was pretty short so I’m worried that the Lightning one will only be part one of the ending and… honestly, I already paid like $80 for this game. I don’t want to pay any more for and ending that they had more than enough time to include in my game.

;_; Anyone else finish this and feel the same level of disappointment that I did? I’m still gonna go in and do some of the extra endings (?) with completion but still. Ugh.

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I got it a week ago or so, and I'm really enjoying it. I had already rented it when it first came out, so I've already managed to get to the end of the game (I keep getting my butt kicked by Chaos Bahamut and Caius, so I've just been running around, leveling up, getting Fragments, etc.). I like it a lot more than I did FF13, although the story isn't nearly as good as it was in the first game. There are a few things I hope are explained by the end of the game, but I doubt they will, such as Snow getting a l'Cie mark again.

Speaking of Snow, I don't like how he's handled in this game. :/ Serah goes for several years without seeing him, and their reunion is so short and un-dramatic that it seems almost pointless in a way. I know it wasn't really pointless, but still, it could have been much better.

3. Cherrim

56%
    Agreed on your last point. The whole game..
    I kept expecting (but not really) Snow and Serah to break up so she'd hook up with Noel because they honestly got along so much better, haha. I knew there was no way (is no way? seriously, Snow wasn't even in the default ending???) they'd do that but their relationship is just so weird and unbelievable.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    *resists opening spoiler tags*
    So yeah...this game is $20 on Amazon and I'm really tempted to buy it. But all the DLC turns me off, plus the fact I have a backlog a mile long, almost make me want to wait for $10. We'll have to see. :/

5. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    $20 for the game is a steal though. :(

6. Cherrim

56%
    It's so worth $20. I don't regret buying the Collector's Edition at $80 even though it's down to like $50 at Amazon now. I had SO much fun with the game and I went back and did 100% completion on it. (Except for the DLC. I'm not buying the DLC. It's not actually required for the story, apparently.)

If you liked FF13 even slightly, 13-2 is amazing.

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    So, um, yeah. I bought it. :|

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Yay! Now play it you twit awesome fellow. :3

9. Cherrim

56%
    Yay!

I think you'll really enjoy it. Just... try not to go into it already hating on every single one of the monsters. :(

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The beginning of this game is horribly dull. And Serah is annoying and I want to slap her.

Otherwise, battle system is