1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

First in-game screens of FFXIII-2

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Chairman Kaga, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playable Serah? : o Also, the Pulse-looking guy is apparently named Noel. Battle system appears to be the same.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Looks like the battle system is staying the same. I'm both ecstatic (because I looooved XIII's battle system) and really disappointed (because this means I actually have to buy the game).

:( I thought Serah was painfully bland in XIII. I hope they actually give her some characterization in this game. And if she's back, it probably means Snow is back. Which might mean the rest of the cast is back, although I'd heard they were just reusing Lightning. @_@ I'm not sure what I want in regards to character inclusion...

3. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    Serah was the dullest character in XIII, no doubt about that. I guess that miniskirt and those googly eyes made her a hit in Japan, though, so it seems we're all stuck with her in some kind of big role.

I think that Nomura mentioned a while back that XIII-2 would have a mix of old and new playable characters, and so far we have Serah, Noel, Lightning, and maybe Lightning's male "rival" who we saw in the teaser. Two of the old characters won't be returning for obvious reasons, so they can either have four new and two old playable characters, ditch Snow and/or Sazh, or have more than six characters to choose from. Snow's romance with Serah was so putrid that I really hope he isn't a playable character this time around (and has no significant role of any sort). I'd take Sazh, though he's probably too busy being a father. I guess we'll see if there's a trailer during E3.

4. Cherrim

56%
    :( The only reason I stuck through XIII to the end was because of those two characters that won't be returning (since by the time you get out of the tutorial so the real battle system starts it's like chapter 11/13) so there's just another reason I'm not very excited about this.

Pretty much agreeing with everything you say though. I'd like to see Sazh in it if only because he was probably the best character out of the lot... He had the most interesting backstory and motivations imo, even if all he was used for in the original game was comedic relief. ~_~

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Snow and Serah were the most boring characters in XIII, no doubt about that. I'm really glad that they're sticking to and fine-tuning the same battle system - if they open the game up and don't drag the tutorial out like they did in XIII, it has the potential to be an even better game.

The game is confirmed to be at E3, so I'm sure we'll be getting at least a little bit of info.

6. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    There've been both short and long trailers to come out since those two pics were released, but I'm a lazy bastard and will find links to them later.

edit: lol, censored words?

7. Cherrim

56%

There's the English trailer that came out. I... think it's the long one. The game looks SO BLAND and those reaction commands ("quick time events") look really dumb. You get like 10 seconds to press the button, so what's the point?? At least it looks like the areas are a bit more populated, so maybe you'll actually get to talk to people outside the party. That was probably what made XIII feel so dead. The whole time you're either in dungeons or walking around Pulse which only has monsters so it was a lonely game.
    And to further support my belief that they'll fix the NPC shortage, I found this screenshot (on 4chan but I'll start looking for a source after I post this) that seems to have dialogue choices? Does this mean Square-Enix is finally taking notes from Western developers? Maybe they won't be in quite as much trouble if they're more open to change. :)

View attachment 7

edit: checked around (aka googled) and all I'm seeing are forum posts with the dialogue options so I'm gonna go ahead and say it's just a rumour for now but I hope it's true.

8. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    I tend to prefer my JRPGs and WRPGs not to blend (mostly because I don't like many WRPGs). I largely enjoyed FFXIII, so any elements that make it more like previous FFs in terms of exploration are great. Anything that attempts to westernize it unnecessarily I'm going to be skeptical of until I see more. 90% of the stuff Square brought to E3 were former Eidos properties, and it's pretty much the same for most larger Japanese game developers right now in terms of abandoning franchises for a piece of the FPS/WRPG/etc pie that they're just never going to get no matter how many times they try. Trying to ape western games instead of sticking to the types of games that Japan does best has resulted in a lot fewer (or no) titles in many of my favorite franchises this gen, so I can't help but worry whenever I see stuff like this.

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I think it could go either way. Adding the WRPG elements could either bring something new and freshen up the game a bit, or it could fall flat on its face. I've always been a fan of JRPGs, and I know that they sell horribly because not many people really care for them anymore (even in Japan!). So I see the need for JRPGs to evolve, but it's pretty clear Japanese developers don't have a clue where to go to make that happen. It's borderline killed the genre this generation, because if they make a standard JRPG it's going to get slammed in reviews and will inevitably sell like shit, so they just don't bother, or they put it on a handheld.