1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

GamerGate: How We Can End This Whole Mess

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Geoff, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It's time for GamerGate to lose the bad apples, cut the distractions, develop concrete goals, and try to bring this whole mess to a peaceful conclusion.

View the full article

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I am so tired of GamerGate.

Even at the start of it, when it was about ethics in gaming journalism, I didn't particularly care because it was a pointless notion. It'd be nice to have some more accountable journalism, but really... What industry doesn't have trade media influenced by players in the industry? None. It's not a gaming issue at all. Like what, no car magazine or movie review publications are void of influence? Anything in any industry that reviews anything at all really.

Now the "movement" is just a bunch (or at least overshadowed by) of vile, bullying, anti-women douchbags best to be ignored and deprived of attention they crave until they fade out of existence.

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    From day 1, I haven't understood what this whole thing was about and I still don't.

Maybe that's a good thing.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    The fact that "moderate #GamerGaters" didn't abandon the hashtag and move on to something less toxic months ago seriously baffles me.

I always kind of thought that I'd end up in the gaming industry. After the last few months, I've started realizing it's almost the last thing I want to do. The misogynistic part of this movement is too big to ignore, whether it's a minority or not. All it takes is one crazy person to look at the doxxed information of these women, think "I live close enough to do something about this instead of just talking about it in a hashtag", and... well. It might seem paranoid to think that way, but when you grow up learning that you have to be incredibly careful around men, being taught to be quiet and keep your head down so you don't make anyone angry at you, dress conservative and don't provoke anyone into doing anything to you... honestly, it doesn't feel farfetched that something could happen beyond just threats. And seeing this sort of threat aimed at people I respect and look up to? It makes me want nothing to do with "gamers" who still want this kind of culture to thrive.

I don't care what the original movement of #gg was. When the rape/death threats to prominent women (almost none of which are actual game reviewers???) in/around the industry started to happen and then continued to happen for weeks and weeks, the movement was tainted beyond repair. I don't understand why anyone would want to be even partially associated with the misogynistic minority that's taken over the hashtag. I'm not anyone important but literally every time I think about RTing some even-vaguely anti-GG sentiment, or mention it on my own, I am actually scared of the response I might get from random people who latch onto those kinds of tweets. I refuse to use the actual #gamergate hashtag because I don't want to risk the kind of people who support it coming across my profile.

I just want this to go away. There have to be better ways to deal with the problem of game journalism than a movement with no clear leader and no lasting momentum in a positive direction. Twitter is good for some social movements, like... actual movements, such as IRL protests and unfolding events, but it's seriously terrible for something like this. Media outlets outside of the gaming industry try to figure out what this movement is about so they can report on it--so they can give the movement the kind of validation it needs to be... you know... something to take seriously--and all they see are a bunch of whiny gamers going "wehhh there are girls in our clubhouse". No, that's not what the movement is supposed to be about, but when ANYONE can use the hashtag and claim to be a part of it, the movement changes on its own. I would argue that even if #gg started as an ethics movement (jury's out on that part though, tbh), it isn't anymore. If video game reporting ethics are important to you, it's time to find a better platform to convey that sentiment.