1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Backtracks On Xbox One DRM Policies, Offline Play & Disc Sharing Allowed

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Rhys, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Microsoft has backed down on its original DRM policies for its next-generation console.

View the full article

2. TheMajesticWolf

TheMajesticWolf Level 2

87%
    Looks like Microsoft will be playing "Catch up" with Sony but I still think Sony will win despite how desperate Microsoft will want their products to sell well.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Well, of course they want their products to sell well. They're a business, that's what a business wants. The only problem is that Microsoft showed how greedy they are far they're willing to go to get money from their customers. If you ask me, the damage has already been done, and no amount of backtracking is going to get rid of that awful taste they left in my mouth. I can now see myself possibly buying an Xbox One, but certainly nowhere near launch, and certainly not at $499.99.

Also, in all honesty, I can see them enforcing a few of those original policies at some point in the One's lifespan, and trying to get all of them in place again for the fourth Xbox whenever it's released. As I said, that's what they want to do, and they're going to do their damnedest to achieve it in the future.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Called it. 8)

Glad they're going region-free and they dumped all that horrible internet check-in stuff but there's still nothing on the console that calls to me enough to buy one so if I skip one console this generation it's still gonna be the Xbox 180. (I love its new name so much ahahaha.)

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Basically everything Cherrim said

Also, Nintendo's the only region locked one now. Not that I'd ever be importing something, but what gives? Only Nintendo caved to the developers/publishers' demands and they still get the least third party coverage :S

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I really hope that people aren't quick to forgive them for this. They've shown their true colors and they're only reversing because they know it's going to affect sales - Microsoft isn't suddenly the consumer's friend.

7. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :x

8. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I still don't know anyone who wasn't already planning on buying a 180 who is planning to buy one now. I think the damage is done. Maybe much farther on down the line, more people will forgive them, but for this year at least? I don't think they're going to get much support from the people who aren't hardcore Xbox fans.