1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Pursuing Free To Play 360 Games?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Savvy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    Source: GameInformer

Sounds like a great idea if you ask me. Free games but with paid perks?

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I think the idea has potential, but it all depends on how MS implements it. I can't imagine the F2P games offering a very deep experience though, and knowing MS you'll get hit left and right for microtransactions and "premium" content.

3. Michael

Michael Level 3

8%
    That's pretty much how it is. They offer the game for free, you pay for certain things you want or more access to the game.

4. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I think they should release old xbox originals for f2p off the marketplace, same as PS1 and old ninty games should be free on PSN and Wii imo

5. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    I think it will work out nicely for Microsoft. I just recently found out they are the leader in the downloads compared with Sony and Nintendo. This should boost their stats tremendously!

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I'm kind of iffy on this. I like the idea of F2P games when it comes to MMOs. Offer the core game for free and if you want upgrades--especially cosmetic--you can pay for them. But when it comes to "normal" games, I don't like the precedence. If the big consoles realize people are willing to pay for micro-transactions with these games, I worry they'll start applying it to other games as a sort of DRM or deterrent to buying used games. :( I do not want to pay for my game's ending nor its extra (plot) levels!

Big DLC packages (like Shivering Isles in Oblivion) are cool, but some of the DLC for Assassin's Creed II were pretty bad and so not worth my money.

7. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    I think this is definitely a good move. Being able to try each game will help people choose what they really like. Then, they can get upgrades for those games that they prefer.
    If I had an Xbox I'd probably play every game possible since they're free. :D