1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft Developer Mojang Bought by Microsoft, Founding Staff Leaving Company

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Rhys, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    The creators of the randomly generated block-filled hit are now under the Microsoft Studios banner.

View the full article

2. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    If I could create a basic (albeit very creativity-stimulating) game and then sell it for billions of dollars, I would be sooooo happy.

Congrats to Notch on his success and for creating a game that has brought me hours upon hours of joy and imagination. Can I get my initial investment of $13~ back, only adjusted for the sale price? ;)

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Was never really one for Minecraft. While it doesn't appeal to me, it does for others and I get that. Nice on Notch for his success and walking away.

I think under Microsoft and with the lack of their founder, the studio's just going to be another Rare

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I like Minecraft, and enjoy going back to it once every so often, so I guess I'm happy for their success! I think they'd be crazy to mess with the formula Minecraft has going now but... I mean... it is Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to mess with it.

I have to admit, I wouldn't be upset if they started charging even minimally for the updates that are currently free on PC. (I assume they're free on other platforms, too, but I'm not actually sure.) I've always been surprised that the updates, which are huuuuge gamechangers, are free. I'm amazed that Minecraft stays so profitable, but I guess now it does have a ton of side merch. I was at Target the other day and noticed they were selling Minecraft... either papercraft or Lego sets for like... $40 for a tiny box with a few block types. And you know people probably buy it!! So I guess that might be where their main profit comes from now that everyone and their mother owns a copy or two. But yeah, if they started charging for these updates? People would still buy it. I'd probably still buy it whenever I got the yearly itch to get back into it. And if not, I already find the amount of content overwhelming so even if it stopped updating like it does, so I don't think I'd even be disappointed if it switched to that.