1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Direct - 1/23/13

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Hoooly crap. I knew we'd get some interesting news from today's Direct, but I didn't think we'd get that much.

- Wii U Virtual Console (with GBA games!)
    - Wii U system updates to improve load times
    - New Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 information/footage
    - Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem announcement (An SRPG combination made in heaven?)
    - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD announcement (Looks like they took TWW and applied a Super Mario Galaxy filter or something, but still, it should be awesome)
    - New Zelda U info (Open-world with multiplayer?)
    - Promises of Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. news at E3

So, thoughts?

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I thought they were only going to talk about Wii U Virtual Console so this morning was a complete surprise.

I'm mixed about Wind Waker HD...because it's not that. Well yes it's HD, but the cel-shading is gone. Everything looks like it's in a dream or something. There's a soft blurriness to the environment. And I think the characters don't look as good as they do in the original Wind Waker. Link kind of looks like how he did in Brawl. I'd be happier if it was just Wind Waker but HD. Probably won't get this.

The new Zelda game has me worried. With Nintendo saying they're rethinking the Zelda series, stripping it down to the essentials and working from there, I seriously think Nintendo is planning on making a New Legend of Zelda series, akin to New Super Mario Bros. *shudders*

Also, I don't think the multiplayer will be anything big. It'll probably be like the multiplayer aspect to the Galaxy games. The main player does what they're supposed to do and another player plays as a cursor and manipulates things. In Galaxy, it was stopping Chain-Chomps in their tracks, collecting objects, shooting stars. In this case, I think the second player will play as a fairy like Navi or Tatl or Tael, and freeze Deku Babas and collect hearts and ruppees. Nothing big.

The new 3D Mario game also surprised me. I thought Nintendo would give Mario a bit of a break given the amount of Mario games that came out over the past couple years.

But the fact that images of the new Smash will be shown at this year's E3 has got me very excited! I can't wait to see how much more detailed Mario's overalls can be! :lol:

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    The best way I can think of describing it is that the backgrounds look like the style of official art used for Skyward Sword (very dream-like and water colour inspired) with the characters being a toned down version of how Toon Link was handled in Brawl, like you said. I don't know why they went this route, the game is known for being "Celda". High-res dolphin screenshots of TWW, TP, and SS have looked amazing and at first I thought it was going to be like that (with an improvement in texture resolution, so it isn't so rough around the edges). Then I saw the screenshots and it was not that at all.

But, maybe hopefully that wasn't TWWHD and actually an example of some of the tests they were doing HDfying previous Zelda art styles. Tetra does not appear outside of the school in the original game. So, this seems kinda "demo" to me.

They said the same thing with Skyward Sword. I wouldn't worry. Wouldn't mind another top-view Zelda title, but I don't see them reducing the formula down to LoZ which is just archaic.

Surrounded by a team of Faeries? Maybe. Seems better than something like Four Swords

I do not care that it is Mario. This is EAD Tokyo. Jungle Beat, Galaxy 2, 3D Land. This is Nintendo's golden goose in my eyes. I want as much as possible from this team. So, very glad to hear this was announced

4. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    It seems to me like they're trying to make the next game more like a 3D version of, say, the first Zelda. In that game, you had a huge overworld to explore, and for the most part, you could go anywhere you want, though many dungeons were impassable unless you finished several other ones first. Since they said that they want players to be able to complete dungeons in the order they want, though, I can see them creating dungeons in "tiers." By that, I mean... Let's say that in tier one, there are three dungeons. Each dungeon can be completed with the bare minimum of equipment, though each does give you a new piece of equipment, such as the boomerang or bow/arrows. However, each dungeon also has numerous areas that you can only complete by gaining equipment from other dungeons, with maybe a mini-boss or some sort of big treasure at the end. After completing tier one, you have all of the equipment required to advance to tier two dungeons, and so on and so forth. I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense, it did in my head. :P I'd love it if they did it that way, and it sounds to me like that could be what they're aiming for.

As for multiplayer... If it was something as trivial as that, then they wouldn't have made such a big deal about it during the Direct. The multiplayer in The Wind Waker and Super Mario Galaxy wasn't exactly hyped up a lot by Nintendo prior to each game's release, yet that's sort of what they're doing for this next game. I can see them adding in co-op dungeons where each player takes control of one character (Maybe one as Link, one as Shiek?) ala the Four Swords games.

Speaking of the Tingle Tuner, we'd better be able to use that with the Wii U GamePad in The Wind Waker HD.

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Really hoping that those were just concepts and not actual screenshots of TWW HD. They totally destroyed the art style of that game with all the bloom and the toning down of the vibrant color palette. :/

I honestly kind of think a TWW remake is unnecessary...the graphical style ensures that the game still looks amazing today, even ten years later. Even TP would benefit a lot more from a remake - the realistic graphical style ages a lot worse than the cel-shading. However, if they add in the cut dungeons and other enhancements, it'll definitely make it worth it. Unfortunately, I think this will be an OoT 3D style remake with little content added to the actual game.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    That Tetra and Sue-Belle were on Windfall for some reason, makes me think (and hope) what they showed off was just concept.

I'd like additional content, but it's likely that elements of whatever dungeons were scrapped were already used in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I adore TWW, but it really did feel like an incomplete game at times. Aonuma apparently has stated that they had worked on the dungeons (can't remember if they were complete or not) but they were removed later on due to the fact they thought the game was too long/daunting. Whether he's telling the truth or they were just cut due to development time constraints, we may never know, but it'd be nice to see some of the content restored - make this a "Director's Cut", if you will.

You know full well they'll charge $60 for it, they need to make it more than an HDification of a Gamecube game.

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    The story I heard was that they cut out two dungeons due to time constraints, and replaced them with the Triforce fetch quest that we all know and hate. Haven't verified that, though.

Considering they're doing much more than a simple remaster, yeah, looks like they'll be aiming for full price. I don't really mind - the altered visuals look like they might give the game a different feel, and there's already a ton of content in the game to justify the price - but I do hope they add some new features just to please those who have already played the game.

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I think we can go without considering that a spoiler now. It's a ten year old game. :P

The other rumored dungeons that were cut were on Greatfish Isle (the third pearl always seemed so tacked on when the other two were obtained in dungeons), Fire Mountain, and Ice Ring Isle. While I'm fine with Fire Mountain and Ice Ring being short areas, I'd love to see a third pearl dungeon as well as a dungeon replacing the Triforce quest.

10. Andy

Andy Level 5

20%
    The only thing in that entire list that I'm excited about is the promise of Super Smash Bros news at E3 lol