1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Not Holding E3 Press Conference This Year

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Rhys, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    The big N is planning on being absent from E3 this year, opting for other events instead.

View the full article

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Honestly, they don't really need E3 anymore. I think of all the consoles they have the best announcement system in place and they've always much preferred just randomly announcing things all throughout the year, from what I've noticed, rather than keeping things under wraps just for the sake of having something exciting to announce at an American conference.

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    It ...sort of makes sense? Microsoft and Sony will be giving big details on their new hardware so they need the stage. Nintendo isn't so they'll just showcase the new software on the show floor. No Reggie though is a bit disappointing though.

4. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    To be honest, I'd be glad if Reggie just left the company. He's done nothing but drive Nintendo of America into the ground.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    How so? I see lots of people complaining about RPGs didn't come overseas. (Might not even be what you're talking about XD But that's what came to mind) But, we did get some in the end. And that isn't a new phenomenon. Bunches of jRPGs didn't surface on the SNES over here.

Anyway, it's sad because I like E3. Or at least the tradition of it. But really, there hasn't been a point to it lately in the last few years. Constant online coverage and "leaks" defeats the purpose. And Nintendo has shown that regular contact with their end-users via Nintendo Direct is proving effective.

The trade show/press conference model is old news, really. Its good if you're unveiling a new big tier product - so hardware (so, Sony and Microsoft will be conquering that front this year). It works for the phone industry because of how often they release new product. If you're just showing off software, a padding two-hour trailer clipshow is boring and doesn't get the message across. I think the Nintendo Direct approach is correct. They're smaller and tailored and that's what Nintendo said they're going to do during E3 time - and to different audiences, including apparently specifically the west.

They will still be there on the show floor. Games will be announced. And we might still have the usual "behind closed doors" announcement a few days in.