1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Project Cafe

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, May 20, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Nintendo will be revealing some details about the Wii successor, codenamed Project Cafe, at E3 in just over two weeks. Apparently the console will feature HD graphics and seemingly a return to more hardcore-oriented gaming. What do you guys think? Is it too soon? Too little too late?

The main thing that worries me is that Nintendo is jumping into next-gen years before Sony and Microsoft. We're probably looking at 2014 or so for their new consoles, and by that time Cafe will already seem outdated if it releases in 2012. I think it'll be a nice jump now, but multiplatform development will probably be hindered by power constraints (if it's more powerful than 360/PS3) during the first couple years of its life, and then when the next PS/Xbox are released, it'll be in a Wii-like position of being less powerful.

It just seems like bad timing to me...but on the other hand the Wii is really in its death throes right now (Just look at the release schedule) and is severely crippled in power compared to the other two consoles. It's a really tough position for Nintendo, and I really hope they have a plan for the future if they're springing into next-gen in 2012.

2. Aegis

Aegis Member

4%
    Um I will be excited if they go back to traditional controllers. Otherwise I'll not be getting it at all lol. Unless, you know, it's super super unique and cool and ground-breaking.

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The rumor is that the Wiimote will be compatible, but Cafe's controller will be more traditional with a twist - it apparently features a small screen that can be used to make splitscreen co-op games easier and stuff. Not sure how well that would work, since it seems like more of a gimmick to me, and would make the controllers cost quite a bit.

4. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    Can they not just keep the controllers to some kind or normal design? XD

I am not sure about 'Project Cafe' if I am honest, but I am still interested to see what they come out with. Nintendo's Wii, in my opinion, crashed very hard once a months, or so, hype was over. Then came the 3DS which has failed so far, since there isn't any games for it as of yet, you could argue.
    Regardless, if Nintendo want to compete with the big boys, this new HD console better be something special.

5. Emolga

Emolga Level 1

70%
    Here's some hoping that it can outperform PS3.

Not planning to get it at launch, it was such a fatal mistake.

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Omg, controllers with a screen? Ugh! Not only will extra controllers be super expensive but think of the battery life. :/ The Wii remotes already die in a day or two when you turn the sound on, so I'd hate to see pimped out controllers.

Honestly, I haven't heard anything about Project Cafe yet. xD This thread title was very confusing for me. As a result, I can't say I'm really looking forward to it. I doubt I'll be getting it anywhere near launch (the Wii was very disappointing for me) and unless it gets some really good titles in its release window, I just don't see myself getting it. I'll probably prefer to wait until Sony or MS jump to next gen and buy one of those.

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I know there isn't a lot of information out, but I'm trying to ignore it because it can't be confirmed yet. And a lot of it, to me, is just out there.

I don't think it will have a screen, I don't get why that would be useful. I don't see why they would now ditch motion control either.

All I want is HD and more consistent releases. Didn't really have problems with Nintendo's (or third parties') titles that I bought on the Wii, just wish there were more of them.

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    This is the main thing I'm worried about, too. It'll be exciting for people... until Sony announced the PlayStation 4, or Microsoft announces the Xbox [Insert number here]. But, like you also said, the Wii is pretty much dead at this point; Nintendo has to do something. I'm really hoping they can get everything right in the long run, but the odds are sort of against them at the moment.

Anywho, from what I've heard, the Stream (I'm calling it that until we know its real name) is gonna be awesome. The extra screen could be really neat to use, and even if games just push it aside, the console itself sounds like it'll be really powerful on its own. Hopefully, in terms of games, Nintendo will have a Mario game at launch, or maybe something Zelda-related (Though I can't see them porting over Skyward Sword, at least not immediately). I'm also hoping they can get some strong third-party support; I don't know about you, but I'd love to play Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty (Preferably the former~) at launch. They would need to get the developers to make sure that their games weren't exact ports from previous consoles, though; they'd need enhanced graphics or something else to persuade potential customers into buying the games.

Well, whatever happens, I'm just waiting for this year's E3 at the moment, to find out exactly what's gonna be released with the system, and what the system can really do. But, like I said, it sounds pretty awesome so far.