1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

RUMOR - Final Fantasy Versus XIII is Dead

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Link

Very disappointing, but I can't say I'm surprised. I've really thought that the game was vaporware for a while, especially since we've barely heard anything about it for six years. Maybe we'll get work started on KH3, but I doubt it...Square is quickly becoming a joke. I really don't expect KH3 during this console generation.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    First reaction: NOOOOO
    Second reaction: WAIT NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE FOR NO KH3

Current reaction: muted sadness

I was really looking forward to this game. :( I don't really trust Kotaku as a legitimate news source so I'm hoping the rumour will be debunked at TGS this year but if it's confirmed, I can't say I'm too surprised. But like it says in the article, there's no way most of the stuff they've developed won't make its way into other games so all we'd really be losing is the vague idea of Versus which was never really fleshed out anyway.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I stand by my belief that they're simply changing its name from Final Fantasy Versus XIII to Final Fantasy XV. Fabula Nova Crystalis as a concept is more or less dead now, and with all of the effort that Square Enix has put into Versus, they may as well call it XV.

Oh well. If Kingdom Hearts III is announced any time soon, then I guess we'll know for a fact that Versus is indeed dead.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The president of Square Enix himself squashed this rumor on Twitter a little while back, but it begs the question...where the hell is Versus and why have we seen nothing of it for years? :/

5. Cherrim

56%
    Might've just been squashing the rumour to prevent investors from raising eyebrows but I do think they're under obligation to show it at TGS now, be it a watered down version that they can release quickly, a rebranded FFXV, or an actual cancellation announcement.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    You have a point. They really need to show this game off in some form at TGS, otherwise it's going to become even more of a joke. It's been pretty much universally labeled vaporware despite the debunking of the rumor, but not having a showing at TGS is just going to add fuel to that fire.

7. Cherrim

56%
    Well, vaporware doesn't really have quite the same bad record now that Duke Nukem Forever has come out. Mind you, it was apparently vying for the "worst game ever" title so maybe it's not a good example for S-E to latch on to. :[

Isn't S-E doing some sort of Final Fantasy conference later this month or something? Or did that already happen? Regardless, I hope they actually mention Versus instead of just announcing FFXIII-3 and hoping we forget about everything else.

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    They are having a Final Fantasy event of some sort, but the "big thing" for it is just information on the sequel to XIII-2. I don't think we'll see much of Versus until TGS.

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Big event today on XIII...and nothing about Versus, of course. The Lightning thing looks like absolute shit though - waiting for Rhys to do the news story and I'll make a thread about it.