1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor: Nintendo Recalling Basic Wii U Systems from Store Shelves

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Rhys, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Nintendo is seemingly asking for stores to take the basic Wii U system off of their shelves, but why?

View the full article

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    The Wii U is available in two models: 8GB and 32GB. The recall probably means Nintendo is simply going to start only selling the 32GB model.

3. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I feel like 8GB is way too little space nowadays and I've often sort of wondered why they even had the 8GB model. Didn't the initial update/installation of the console's OS take up most of the 8 anyway? I think it makes plenty of sense that they're either going with just the 32GB model or they'll price drop that one and slap an even bigger hard drive in a new iteration.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    There have been rumors floating around that they're introducing a white 32GB model, so it could be that they're recalling the 8GB to upgrade them to 32 and send them back out as Premiums. It'd be nice to get a price drop to $299 overall as well.

5. Cherrim

56%
    32GB doesn't seem like a lot either. Unless Wii U titles don't have a Nintendo Shop digital counterpart when they release? I figured they were going that way based on how they've been running the 3DS and if they are, they're gonna need bigger storage space on their consoles pretty soon.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    A lot of Wii U games are available on the eShop, so yeah, 32GB fills up fast. They allow you to use any form of USB storage though, so you can hook up an external hard drive and expand your storage space significantly.

7. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Nintendo of America has released a statement: "There is a current misperception about Wii U hardware. To clarify: Nintendo is working with its retail partners to simply rebalance the stock of the White 8GB and the Black 32GB Wii U models in the market. Consumers looking for either model will continue to find them available."

Mystery solved.

8. Cherrim

56%
    Ohh, I didn't realize that was the case. That's not too bad, although the idea of running a game off a USB connected device makes me kind of sick. :( God that would be slow.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    "Rebalance" is awfully vague.

I think the 8GB is going away, perhaps not all at once though. But gradually. The 32GB would get a price cut as the new basic and then a large storage model would be released as the new premium.

They probablu just objected to "recall" which gives out horribly negative impressions