1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Super Mario 3D Land

Discussion in 'Handheld Gaming' started by Geoff, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Anyone getting it? Or do you want it, but don't have a 3DS?

I'm kind of torn. On one hand, it's really the first "big" title for 3DS that's not a port or remake. On the other hand though, it looks like just another 2D Mario with some 3D elements - I was really hoping for a full 3D portable Mario game. The game looks kind of disappointing to me, honestly, but I still might pick it up Sunday.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'm really looking forward to this game for precisely the reason Geoff is not. XD

I adore the old games... Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 ("For Super Players" or "The Lost Levels", refer to it however you want), and 3; and Super Mario World (which is Super Mario Bros. 4). But, their modern sequels were horrible. Both entries in the "New!" series were major step backs in terms of game design and game player.

I like Super Mario 64. But... that isn't Mario. Not by a long shot. Sunshine and Galaxy didn't wow me either. And Rare totally conquered the the 3D adventure platformer collect-a-thon genre back on the N64 with the two Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64. All the Mario games in that genre pale in comparison, even Super Mario 64.

But then along came Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was the most Mario-ey feeling game I've played since the original Paper Mario. I consider it "Super Mario Bros. 5", it was that good. It captured the spirit of the old sidescroller platformers and, more importantly, advanced it, in a way that the lame "New!" series didn't. And it incorporated some aspects of Super Mario 64 in the process. A happy marriage.

Super Mario 3D Land, despite the stupid name, looks like a continuation of what SMG2 started. Plays like classic sidescroller, but tosses in some of those 3D adventure elements. More power-ups too. And its by the same team that made SMG2, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I'm excited for the game as well, but to me it feels rushed. It appears to use a lot of the music and elements from Galaxy and Galaxy 2 (rainbow colored musical notes) and,in an attempt to add re-playability to the game, they've added special worlds that are unlocked after the game that seem to be very similar to the original worlds but have some gimmicks (more spinies, less time, etc.) It also upsets that me that EVERYTHING has a tanooki tale. I'm glad they've brought the leaf powerup and tanooki suit back but it doesn't have to be everywhere. It's like how the main theme of Brawl is heard throughout different modes and menus. It's a great song, yes, but it doesn't have to be everywhere.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I've got the game. So far it's pretty good...boss fights are really uninspired for the most part, and it feels more like a 2D Mario with a couple twists. It's also pretty easy so far - which is okay because I suck at platformers. I'm not blown away, by any means, and the Galaxies were much better, but it's not bad at all.

5. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    2D Mario? Sounds good to me. :D

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I was just hoping for more of a full-fledged 3D Mario in handheld form. But what really disappoints me the most about the game is that it's just really generic. There's not much personality to the game - not much cohesiveness and pretty uninspired boss fights and environments. But even for that, it's a good game.

7. Andy

Andy Level 5

20%
    I was going to ask for this for Christmas, so I'm really disappointed that it's not all that fantastic. I was also hoping for something a little more like Mario 64 but in real 3D, but from what I hear it's not even close to that, which sucks to hear :(

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It's definitely more 2D than 3D Mario, and there's very little of the exploration that came about in 64 or the other 3D Marios. It's not a bad game, just kind of bland.

9. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I just finished playing the game. It was what I expected really. I'd say it's better than SMB3 but not SMW. The first 8 worlds were boring, with the game truly starting to become fun in the special worlds. The bosses were bland and the levels didn't feel new. They felt like variations of levels from the NSMB games or the Galaxy games.

I think there definitely will be a sequel (I say soon, two years maybe) with the inclusion of Yoshi and much better level design.

10. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I thoroughly enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land. It's not perfect, but it did a far better job of capturing the spirit of the old Mario games than the New Super Mario Bros. series. It was perhaps too derivative of the Galaxy series, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It played a bit like Galaxy meets the old games, mores Galaxy. The Bowser stages from Super Mario 64, the non-FLUDD levels from Sunshine, Galaxy 2's level design... that's pretty much what this game is an extension of. It's not a collect-a-thon, so if that's what you're looking for - stay away.

And while I enjoy and prefer the approach the game took over the collect-a-thon method, I think 3D Land's greatest flaw is that it feels like a level pack. Levels are not themed to their worlds and the levels borrow elements and concepts too heavily from the Galaxy series. There are aspects of the older games that are sorely missed. In particular, vertically-scrolling levels and fortresses where the walls close in on you. Other things too; small thing like the springy platforms from World or quick sand. Hidden exits would have been nice too. Also Yoshi, don't forget Yoshi.

The difficulty is fine if you're trying to get the Star Coins at the same time. If you're not then they're a tad too easy, particularly in the first eight worlds. Bosses were also repetitive with little variations.

So, yeah... it has solid level design. It's a terrific platformer and it is a blast to play. A lot of fun. For the time being, a must have for the 3DS I think. A great Mario title, but not the best. The level pack feeling of it is a shame, it feels a bit incomplete. But it is a glimpse of great things to come. The inevitable sequel, if it includes some more boss and level variety, plus Yoshi will be a fantastic game.