1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Tatsumi Kimishima is Nintendo's New President

Discussion in 'Site Commentary' started by Geoff, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    View the full article.

#1 Geoff, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'm okay with this. Some young blood would be preferred as to avoid Yamauchi-like stubbornness, but hey he's only here for a year and we're getting into the holiday season - someone needs to steer the ship. Might as well be someone, for the short term, who might focus on the numbers and put in some long-term groundwork for financial stability.

Case in point, the restructuring. The "Business Development Division" is a great idea, and a necessity. Nintendo has some glorious IP. Iwata did start to explore this recently with third party spin-off games, toys, the theme park announcement, openness to film and television. This just formalizes it and adds some structure. Have a group work on finding this opportunities and fostering relationships. Doing so with active purpose rather than waiting for an opportunity to present itself.

I think it's also clear that Takahashi is who they were intending to replace Iwata, but he's not ready yet. With Miyamoto and Takeda now taking on more of a guru-like (or "fellow") rather than a managerial role, their divisions have been merged and Takahashi is heading it up. This is an experience and exposure building exercise. Takahashi's breadth has been expanded, just another rung up on the ladder.

I also think Kimishima brings about something vital - especially in this lead up to the NX. He was heading up NOA in the beginning of the GCN era. Post Arakawa's amazing ability to lose third parties to Sega with the SuperNES and push them away to Sony with the N64 - Kimishima actually brought them back. The GCN, while it wasn't a grand success, was a good time for Nintendo third-party relations. They had active connections with several publishers and developers, they had western and mature content too. Once Kimishima left, so to did the third parties. Not the only reason, of course. But, I think him being in this position will be a big plus.

Plus just the fact he was at NOA. And heading up Pokemon's growth in North America. He understands the North American market. And that's where the money is. Japan's console market is shrinking, but traditionally that's what Nintendo targets. I mean, he won't fix all this in the year he has, but he can lay the groundwork and start some initiatives for Takahashi to continue

3. Achromatic

Achromatic Sootopolitan

47%
    He seems to have promise and I'm excited to see where he'll lead the company from here.