1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Review

Discussion in 'The Archive' started by Geoff, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    A Link Between Worlds is a retro throwback that often feels overly familiar, but the steps taken to break out of series' conventions are admirable, and the increased focus on exploration and lack of hand-holding are refreshing.

View the full article

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Combat is such a step backwards. The Minish Cap had attacks you could learn, like in Twilight Princess (although TMC did it first), and here you don't. Just standard top-down slashing. Above all, this made it feel like "New Legend of Zelda" to me because that's what Nintendo's done in NSMB - ignore game play mechanics from SMB3 or World or even try to advance them further, and just ground it to the first SMB on the NES. I don't understand it.

I disagree on the dungeons though. They may be bland, but that's how they were in the era of LoZ and ALttP. And true to ALttP (and let's say The Wind Waker too), they were big vertical dungeons. Scope was okay, they were easy though.

Even if they wanted a ALttP retro feeling here, I can't understand why they had to go with thisvisual look or copy the overworld nearly exactly. Four Swords Adventures handled both aspects far better.

Maiamais, best part of the game