1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, May 29, 2011.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Back in 2006, I got a Wii for Christmas; the main reason was so I could play the "best" version of Twilight Princess. Over four years later, it's still one of my favorite current-gen (last-gen?) games; for whatever reason, I sold it after a while, but I just bought it again recently, and have been playing it non-stop the last few days.

Basically, do you like Twilight Princess? Why or why not? Do you think the game deserved its pre-release hype? Personally, while I don't think it deserved all of the hype it got, I do think it deserved a lot of it. The game proves that the classic Zelda gameplay works under almost any style, be it cel-shaded or realistic graphics, and it also proves that a lot of games can benefit greatly from motion controls.

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Twilight Princess, while I enjoyed it very much, was a minor letdown for me. Yes it has the most realistic looking graphics in the Zelda series but the unrealistic elements of the game didn't mesh well with the look they were going for.

For example, the people made odd noises to signify that they were speaking, weird chicken/human hybrids were present, Link had to be shot out of a cannon (built by bizarre clowns) in order to travel to certain places, baboons slapping their behinds, etc.

They were trying to go for a more realistic approach but the previously mentioned aspects of the game prevented them from fully achieving that feel. Which is why I think the look for Skyward Sword is excellent since it is a mix between cel-shaded and realism, meaning moments of both quirkiness and seriousness could coexist perfectly.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    It's a solid game with excellent dungeons. But, it's too "samey" to be one of my favourites. And like DarkSpade said, it had some moments that just took you out of the game. Characters especially.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I know I played the game, and I remember a few parts of the game, but I don't remember anything important about the game. I remember all the hype that led up to it but when I try to think about it, all I recall is being frustrated every time I had to use the bow and arrow because my couch is too far away from my TV and the Wii couldn't pick up my pointing unless I was standing a few feet in front of the couch. >:| If I ever play the game again, it will likely be on a Gamecube version if I can find one.

Apparently I rated it 2/5 stars on Backloggery so I guess I didn't like it that much. I bet most of that was the controls but reading the above posts... I agree with them too. I may not have remembered any of those details on my own but I don't see how I would have because they really don't flow. :[ I guess my only issue with it is that it's not very memorable. TWW was memorable for its striking visual style, OOT and MM were really memorable for me despite not playing them for years until recently, and even the handheld games that I've played have things that stand out. Nothing but a song here and there from TP sticks in my head.

:[ But this thread kind of makes me want to go play it again on a TV that isn't too far away from the couch, lol.

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    My main complaint about TP was that it felt...generic? It didn't have the same charm that OoT/MM/TWW had, and because of that it barely felt like a Zelda game. Plus the graphics being in a grittier, more realistic style caused it to not be as interesting and colorful of a world. I still thought it was a great game, but it was kinda lacking as a Zelda game.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I do like TP over TWW though. It had amazing dungeons. Huge, complex, and time consuming. And it doesn't have a long boring fetch-quest in the middle of it like TWW. Or end abruptly after just a few dungeons.

TWW feels unfinished to me. Promising and entertaining. But unfinished.

TP, I think it was misguided but better.