1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The Xbox One

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, May 22, 2013.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Thought it would be nice to have a place to actually discuss this thing outside the news post comment thread and the DCC.

So yeah, is anyone actually happy with the Xbox One? For those who haven't seen already, we have all the details here.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I still kind of like the controller and might end up with one sometime down the road for Steam's Big Picture mode.

And I guess I'm pretty happy that their announcement so far has been a bust with me because it means I have no desire to get one. Japan isn't happy with it either so I imagine Japanese companies will ignore the console and that probably means I won't desperately want to play any games on it. I can safely get a PS4 (at some point [aka when a KH game or FF13 VS is officially announced for it]) without worrying if I'm making the right choice.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I'm skeptical. I've gotten over my original reaction, and the more I think of it, the more I like - and dislike - the more Steam-esque approach they're taking to games. I don't like that discs themselves are tied to a single account, but if publishers are in more control over prices, then maybe - just maybe - it'll be even more like Steam in terms of game sales and such.

Other than my skepticism towards the online-related things, I do like what they showed of the console. The controller looks like a pretty good variation of the 360's controller, and the enhanced Kinect pretty much offers exactly what the first one hadn't, which was why I never bought the first one: more precise recognition. Because of that, and since it's included with all One systems, I can see it being of more and better use not only in the menus and applications, but also in games.

Oh, and all that entertainment-related stuff? Pretty neat. The fact that you can pull a Windows 8-esque move and have two apps running side-by-side on the screen is a pretty big plus for me, and the ability to swap between games, television, music, and more on the fly with your voice is great.

Overall, I'm pleased with the console and think it's cool, but the big issue for me is how the games' DRM works. If it's too restrictive, I may not buy the One. For now, it's wait-and-see for me.

4. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    My opinion hasn't changed since yesterday. I don't care about recording gameplay, voice control, using tv, music, and web apps simultaneously (or at all frankly), the ESPN integration. There's still no free online multiplayer. Not even the confirmed games interest me. Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4, CoD: Ghosts, UFC, Destiny, Forza, future Halo and Gears of War titles. I have no interest in any of these. The only thing I like is the controller since they've gotten rid of the bulkiness of the battery compartment. That's it. Unless they announce something spectacular at E3 (i.e., Banjo-Threeie), I will not be getting this system.

5. Cherrim

56%
    Honestly, the TV stuff probably is pretty neat if you... live in the United States. The currently available apps between even Canada and the US is pretty disparaging (although I will admit that the Canadian offering has expanded greatly from when I last checked). It's not really Microsoft's fault because a bunch of the big hitters to me (Hulu+, Amazon Instant) just aren't available here no matter what the platform, but it really pushes that they are interested first and foremost just in the US market. Everything else is an afterthought. Canada has it pretty good in the gaming markets, being tacked onto the NA (read: US) region as it is, but if we get a bad deal with something like this, just imagine how pointless the offering must be in other countries?

If Microsoft is concentrating so much on TV apps and all that, then they are not marketing to me--not only because I'm a gamer before a consumer of other types of media, but because I don't live in the same region as all the American apps. And that's enough to turn me off of buying the console even more.

Also, I'm not buying the increased precision in the Kinect quite yet. Remember how flawlessly we were told it worked when it was announced and leading up to its release? In practise, I've heard it's pretty awful and works to a mediocre standard at best. (Some people have had good results with it but the vast majority of people I know who own one don't like it.) Just because it worked well at a conference doesn't mean it's improved enough that it will be as useful as their PR department says. :/

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    They're still really pushing Kinect, but does anyone even use Kinect? The original Kinect never really got adopted by many people, casual or hardcore, and no games ever really used it well. Even forcing it on Xbox One owners, I can't see many people making good use of it. Especially if they live in apartments or other small spaces.

7. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Well, it comes with the Xbox One (Or is at least required for the system to operate), so if everyone has to have one, I guess it'll be put to more use regardless of whether people want it or not.

8. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    For people who create digital art installations, the Kinect is great. For gaming? Not so much.

9. Cherrim

56%
    I'd never be able to get the Kinect on my 360 now. It requires a lot of space to detect you and I don't have a large living room (despite it being larger than most I've had while living on my own). Most people in a big bulk of their demographic don't--Xbros who own it for the latest CoD and Madden are often in school with small dorms or use it in their bedroom at their parents house. Overgeneralizing a bit? Yeah, sure, but it's true that a lot of people just don't have the space. Supposedly they've optimized it in the Xbone to work better in small spaces but considering it needs a full body scan with a lot of games now (I think?), just how optimized CAN it be?

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It's official - this is how the Xbox One's DRM works.

And it's just as bad, if not worse, than we feared.
    • No renting or lending games, and no private sales.
    • If the console is not connected to the internet once every 24 hours (if on your home console) or every hour (on another console), it totally locks your ability to play any games, even single player ones, until you connect again.
    • It's up to publishers whether to allow their games to be traded in, and trade-ins are only allowed to be made at approved retailers.
    • You may only transfer a game to someone who has been on your Xbox One friends list for 30 days. You may only do this once. After you transfer it, they're stuck with it forever.
    • 10 family members may play on one console.
    Seriously, fuck this console. I won't be getting this, and if Sony does something similar with PS4 I'll be passing on that as well.