1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Wii U sales weak - what can Nintendo do?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    A more specific topic about the Wii U here...
    With the recent news that, despite Nintendo making a healthy profit last quarter, only 160k Wii Us were shipped worldwide over the three-month period, what do you think that Nintendo needs to do to salvage this platform?

We're talking sales that are lower than Gamecube and lower than Dreamcast, even. Will the Q4 2013 offerings be enough to turn the Wii U around? Does it need a price drop? And even then, how much do you think it will wind up selling over its lifetime?

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    The Wii U will do better once more games come out; although it will never be as successful as Wii. Besides, Nintendo can take a hit or two, they have billions of dollars in the bank.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    They need games and a price cut. And better, clearer marketing.

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    announce pokemon snap

I don't really have any suggestions beyond that lol. They need games. Only one thing on it (or even announced for it so far) even interests me and I'm not buying the whole console just for Nintendo Land which I would probably play a few times a year. :/

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    What's the one thing that interests you?

I want to pick one up this year because there's around 6-8 games that I want now and would get alongside it, but... that damn price. Needs to be lower XD

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I... I said it in the post. XD;

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I don't see how they can go through this holiday season without a price drop, especially once PS4 and Xbone come on the scene. They're losing a lot of sales by not having Mario Kart out by Christmas too.

8. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Only one thing on it (or even announced for it so far)

I focused more on the "announced" part, so I thought it was something not yet released

9. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Honestly, I dunno what they can do. I feel maybe as a company they got too cosy because of the Wii's sales and were just assuming the masses of casual gamers would pull them to the top again, and as opposed to the whole wigglemote gimmick they obviously went with the tablet to hop onto the whole tablet fad that the casuals are all over now. However (as the Vita has proven) the casuals don't seem to want to hop into actual gaming so much anymore and there's not really much Nintendo can do to change this. Most of the hardcore gamers who wanted a Wii-U have one, same with the Vita, the truth just is that more people prefer a conventional controller. Nintendo's best bet is to try and do an Xbox One and add a far more typical joypad as an equally integrated and marketed peripheral.

10. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Wii U price drop confirmed! Beginning on September 20, the Wii U Deluxe model will be available for $299.99.

Yay! I might actually get a Wii U now.