1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Games that grew on you

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Cherrim, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I'm sitting here totally hooked on a game I really didn't like at first, which got me thinking of other ones that I hated at first and ended up really liking. Or games that I really didn't expect to like but played anyway and loved. Everyone probably has them, so what are yours?

Mine are...
    • Tales of VS: when I first started it up, I thought the controls were horrible, the story was ridiculous (it's a fighting game, to be fair XD), and it was really hard to get into. Now I've gotten more than halfway through the story and I love it!
    • Final Fantasy XIII: I went in expecting to like it, then hated for the first half (aka the first 10 tutorial chapters) and... in the end I liked it (or the battle system, at least) so much, I did completion for it. ._.;
    • Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia: I didn't like the first one and... only played this because Cherrim was in it, but in the end it was lots of fun and the only gripe I had was it telling me cardinal directions accompanied by an arrow (→) every single time.
    • Plants vs Zombies: I don't like tower defence games but I took a chance on this because plants are cute and I like zombies. Became one of my favourite games ever and I can still open it up and play for hours.

(And the other way around, I went in expecting to like Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded since it supposedly used the same battle system as BBS and was a KH game and it ended up being my least favourite game I've ever played. Ahead of even like... Pokémon Channel.)

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I had trouble getting into both Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, but once I got into them I plowed right through them and have become two of my favorite series this gen. Hopefully I can do the same thing with Oblivion when I try to pick that up again.

3. Pope

Pope Really, really old member

90%
    Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's one of those games that you play for the fun of playing instead of TOTALLY DESTROYING THE ENEMY AND CONQUERING THE WORLD and so on, which I had trouble coming to grips with. However, once I realized this I had a lot better time playing it. *shrug*

In fact I think I've had similar experiences with most of the Kirby games I've played. haha |D As for other games, though... pretty sure I like most of the ones I play from the get-go.

4. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Red dead redemption, I found it really boring and slow paced at first, but ended up loving it.

5. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    Same here, I've never liked western environments but once I got into the game I got really into it.

6. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    I used to hate Dynasty Warriors games like most other people, but I co-oped them with a friend enough that I eventually became addicted to them. They have a horribly bad rap thanks to misrepresentation by cynical game journalists.

7. chanceminor

chanceminor Level 3

52%
    The game that I played the most back then was Urban Reign. It's similar to the Tekken games. It is not that popular, but I loved the campaign and I finished it at least 5 times. I also loved fighting against my friends or fighting with them against the computer. Those were the days.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim skystreaks.

8%
    Final Fantasy X: Being a major fan of the FF series already, It was of no surprise that this game grew quickly on me. The storyline was amazing, the characters were awesome(seriously, no one was more badass than Auron), and the sequel just made it all the more enjoyable for me. Honestly, there's hardly anything that I dislike about this game, though it could just be me being a fangirl, but I don't care.

Xenosaga Series: This game my brother originally had, so I decided to borrow it and give it a try. This is when I was just attached to the RPG genre of gaming in general, and as soon as I played through the first episode...I fell in love with it. Since then, I played and beat the first episode twice, beat the second episode as well as waiting to get the third episode so that I may complete it as well.

---

That's pretty much it for me. xD;

9. Shortie861

Shortie861 Level 3

56%
    Believe it or not mine was actually COD :) I remember starting out on COD 4 and as much as I did sort of like it I never really got too interested in it to be honest and really just gave up on it, it wasn't until COD World At War that I really started to get into COD games when I played with my brother alot online and he helped me work things out so that it wasn't as confusing now I am totally hooked :) another game was Rainbow Six Vegas 2, I remember playing Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and I could never really get on with it and when 2 came out I really wasn't that interested and didn't really care for it, anyway I met a guy online on Xbox Live who had the game and insisted I tried it as I would like it and enjoy it I took the plunge and played with him and he helped me out alot to make it less daunting and after that I played it for 8 months straight with a set of friends :) quite amazing how just a little help from friends or family can get you into a game you never thought you liked.