1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Geoff, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Since it's coming December 20th, is anyone interested in SW:TOR? It looks interesting, and a Star Wars MMO definitely intrigues me, but I still can't force myself to pay almost $200 a year in subscription fees for one single game. The Old Republic's fees are pretty standard for an MMO (~$15 a month) though.

2. Mao Rune

Mao Rune This world can try...

50%
    Star Wars

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I tried playing WoW but I just couldn't get into it. Repetitive questing isn't my thing...I'm sure I'd love the Star Wars aspect of TOR, but doing a bunch of menial tasks and paying through the nose every month for it doesn't sound appealing at all.

4. Gavin

Gavin Level 1

30%
    It does look interesting, but those fees are way too much for me to be paying out on a monthly basis. For the price of playing that game for 6 months, I could buy two new ones. If it's quest based, it'd just become WoW on another format and that wouldn't be cool. I'll take a look at it, but the fee's aren't favourable.

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I can agree with this. I mean, for the price of playing one year of an MMO, you can almost buy four full priced games...or even more once they drop in price. Plus I can imagine getting tired of the same old grind over and over.

6. Aegis

Aegis Member

4%
    I have SW:TOR preordered but I'm not really that excited for it, World of Warcraft is still my main MMO.

You guys do realize that for people like me and some of my friends, who prefers MMOs, it's actually cheaper to play MMOs than regular games. I hardly ever actually buy new (as in more games, doesn't necessarily mean recently released) games, honestly I find most non-MMOs to be boring and pretty hard to get into. Since somebody compared the price to World of Warcraft somewhere here, it is worth mentioning that by subscribing to a year of WoW you also get Diablo 3 free, which I'm assuming would regularly be $60 as that's the typical price for new games. So technically SW:TOR is more expensive than WoW, which probably means I won't keep it up after I play around with it for a month or two.

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    For me, I'd rather have the variety of buying new games than shoveling money into the same game over and over every month. I find MMOs to be mostly menial, boring busywork anyway for the most part, so I'd rather buy new games and have some variety and different experiences.

8. Osrali

Osrali Level 1

80%
    The trailers definitely give you the wrong impression. That republic trooper one where he fights the sith lord was pretty awesome, but combat isn't really anything like that. As much as I enjoy pre-2006 Star Wars, I couldn't bring myself to get hyped over this.

They had interesting ideas, like 'we aren't doing uninteresting raids where you have 4 players beating on one enemy' and 'your color scheme for gear matches your chest piece so you're not a rainbow mish-mash', but then they turn around and make an apparent number of the raids exactly what they'd been calling uninteresting, and then remove the coloration feature(that was entirely optional to begin with) because 'there are only so many ways we can differentiate two pairs of boots outside of color'.

I dunno, maybe Bioware can turn this around and make a decent title out of it.

...or maybe it'll end up like most of their stuff now. :-(

9. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    The cinematic trailers were incredible, I really wish they'd make a Star Wars game like that.