1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

GamePro Shutting Down

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Geoff, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    One of the longest-running gaming magazines will be sending out its last issue this month, and the website will be shutting down as well. GamePro first launched in 1988, and as of December 5th will be merging into PCWorld. Here's the official announcement that appears at the top of the GamePro website:
    Does this affect anyone? I've never read GamePro, myself, but I have looked at the website a few times - mostly for reviews and such.

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    When I was a lot younger I would take Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming Monthly, and GamePro out from the library.

I never liked GamePro XD

Plus, I don't think these magazines are actually useful today. We have the Internet now. Nintendo Power and I guess the other Xbox and PlayStation magazines are okay if you want specific content with maybe some exclusives... but those exclusives end up on the Internet anyway

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I agree that you can find anything online and you don't really need the magazines for info, but they still make for good reading material while you're in a waiting room or you're riding in the car or something.

4. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    I really just read EGM when I was younger, but still, RIP Gamepro. The death of print magazines in general is a sad thing.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    True. But, if that's their entire business model... well, not all that surprised that they have to close up shop.

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    1. I'm going to assume you mean to take with you to have as reading material, but otherwise I would advise you to never touch reading material in a waiting room because it is riddled with germs and can make you sick. :P (Also I don't know of any waiting rooms that had those kinds of magazines so I'm probably preaching to an empty crowd here.)

2. I think printed media, especially for anything based on something as specific as video games (where they will usually only cover the big games coming out in the next few months) is pretty much obsolete now. Why would I want to read a special on [big name game] when I've probably already READ all the news in the magazine when it first became available several weeks prior on a gaming website? I guess there are some exclusive things that magazines get but I don't see that as any sort of saving grace. Print just can't keep up with the internet anymore and I really think magazines and newspapers of any kind are a very dying breed unless they learn to digitize. Having a Kindle subscription to the New York Times, however, would be a lot easier to justify than an e-reader subscription to a magazine that covers a fandom that's almost entirely online nowadays. So I just don't think gaming magazines have a place anymore--there's probably more money in ads on blogs than a printed run anyway.

7. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I still buy the Xbox official magazine for their reviews and articles. News I go online for, and reviews too but there's just something about their reviewing style I like.

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Yes, I mean take it with you as reading material. I always bring a book or magazine with me when I know I have to wait for a doctor's appointment or an oil change or something. XD

9. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I'm... not too terribly saddened by this. I liked what I read of the magazine, but I grew up on Nintendo Power, for the most part. x3; Still, it is sorta sad.