1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    AKA Final Fantasy XIII-3.

So... Who's looking forward to the game? I think it sounds like it could be good. The new gameplay sounds like it'll be a breath of fresh air compared to XIII and XIII-2. I'm kind of at odds with what I've seen of the story and location, though. (XIII-2 spoilers ahead)
    First off, if the game takes place hundreds of years after XIII-2, then that means that the majority of the previous cast is probably dead-- definitely Serah, of course. The only ones I can see returning are Fang (If she's still in crystal), Vanille (Same as Fang), Snow (Isn't he trapped outside of time or something? I didn't play his DLC), Caius, and Yeul. While this normally wouldn't be so bad, there are so many unanswered questions about the previous cast members. What happened to Noel, Hope, Sazh, and Alyssa? What exactly is the "end of the world" that is being referred to, and is Caius behind it? As for the location, I assume that with chaos running rampant, that greatly altered the landscape, but the only returning locations I can see are the Shrine of Etro and Bhunivelze, though for some reason it looks radically different now. I guess the new areas are from other times and/or dimensions? Not really sure how it works...

All in all, I'm looking forward to playing the game. I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I've still yet to beat XIII-2, so not going to click that spoiler, however, everything I've heard about this game makes me not want to rush. I hate games with time limits, so the countdown clock doesn't appeal to me at all, and I absolutely adored XIII/2's combat system and I'm upset that they seem to be radically departing from it in the conclusion to the trilogy. The setting looks totally different from the other games, and I just don't see how there's going to be much continuity other than it starring Lightning.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    From what I've seen, the combat system is actually like a mix of XIII's gameplay and Type-0's combat. There are still different "roles" you can switch between that alter your stats and abilities, while your abilities are mapped to the face buttons. As for the setting, I've thought about it, and it actually makes a ton of sense to me now. Again, XIII-2 spoilers. :P

After chaos gave the world a big middle finger, Etro's shrine made its way to Gran Pulse (As seen in XIII-2), while the world was radically altered, possibly by taking areas from other parts of the world and throwing them in different places. Novus Partus looks to be the remains of Gran Pulse, which seems to be continually swallowed into the sea of chaos. The "end of the world," I'm assuming, is the last bit of the world being swallowed.

Sorry if none of that made much sense, it was a bit hard to describe it.

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Apparently it's got something very similar to the dressphere system in X-2. Are they trying to make Lightning more girly or something?

5. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    The system itself is similar to the X-2's Dresspheres, but I don't think that necessarily means she'll be girlier... She's gonna act the same way as in previous games, as far as we know.

6. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I'm sort of avoiding details on this since everything I've heard about it sounds unappealing to me (especially one blurb where they said this was a more compassionate Lightning? Come on, literally the only character trait Lightning has is that she's a bitch--changing that makes her a completely different character). I'll still be buying it because it would be weird to leave off the third game when I so thoroughly enjoyed the first two but... ugh. Don't want something radically different! I'm so worried about it.

I'm also really sick of Lightning.
    I was kind of hoping the third game would focus on Hope and Noel fixing everything with help from the original party of XIII or something, not on Lightning. I know the tagline before the announcement had to do with Lightning but ugh. Aside from Snow I think she's my least favourite character in the XIII series. Not pleased to be controlling her again. (I was rather happy with her having literally no role in XIII-2 aside from set-up.)

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I beat XIII-2 last week finally, and I can see now why the world looks so radically different. However, that ending was awful, and they're going to have to do some serious narrative acrobatics to tie together all the plot points and justify the way 2 ended.

8. Cherrim

56%
    I feel like the third one will only be slightly related to two since Lightning had like literally no plot influence on two.

9. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%

10. Cherrim

56%
    Yeaaaah... I feel like they could have so, SO easily written those parts out though. I mean, I guess you can say that about a lot of things but when you think about it, she didn't do anything overly important that couldn't have been handled with almost any other plot device.

I imagine it will be about as related to 2 as 2 was to the original which... to me, wasn't very much. :/