1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX Coming to PS3 (KH1:FM, KHRe:CoM, cutscenes from 358/2 Days)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    So yeah... All of Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories are coming to PlayStation 3 next year, and as an added bonus(?), the collection features cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days. Together, the game's called Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX. All content is remastered with HD visuals, and the game(s) will have trophies.

... Thoughts? Honestly, I'm kinda confused by this. It's great that the games are being brought to PS3 on one disc, but... I'm not sure. I'm still really confused by this decision.

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    My first thoughts: "...why?"

This should be KH FM and KH2 FM+. Maaaaybe Re:CoM and/or BBS FM as additional titles, but I'd be perfectly happy with just KH1 and KH2 Final Mixes. But why in the hell would they add in Re:CoM and 358 of all games - and then have 358 only be cutscenes? Makes no sense...but then again, Square rarely does these days.

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Well, to be fair, I'm sort of glad they aren't flat-out including 358/2 Days. I liked the story, but the game itself was very repetitive. I'm curious as to how they'll include the cutscenes, though. Will they just compile them as a sort of movie, or include them at various parts of the games? If so, how?

That leads me to another point: with it being called a "remix," I think they're gonna change the games up in terms of content by adding some stuff or editing it. One major thing I can think of is them omitting Deep Jungle since they never got the rights to Tarzan again, though that doesn't really count, I suppose.

Also, I'm kinda thinking that they might release a "Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX" that'll include Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix, Birth by Sleep - Final Mix, and cutscenes from Re:coded. Surely they plan on releasing KH2 in HD, right?

4. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    dkfljgdGDKFJLGLKSDFJGLDGOLIRNKLJ

DLKFGJLKDFJGIKJREJGL:KDG

DLFGFDJKDGDrgh

HD AND TROPHIES AND PRETTY AND YAY

it's 1.5 so that means they're just doing the ones up to KH2 and then they'll obviously do another one (2.5, I guess) with the later ones. They're milking it because we still have one hell of a wait before KH3.

.......maybe BBSw ill get the HD treatment for the next set??

sdfkljdf

guys this is the most words I've managed to get out about this at once

5. Mao Rune

Mao Rune This world can try...

50%
    My first thoughts: "HELL YES"

I mean. I'd rather plainly have KH1 and 2 just thrown out there on PS3, but I'll settle for this. :D

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%

7. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Okay, I think I've finally managed to stop bouncing off the walls. n_n (I never thought I'd be so excited about this???)

I'm so excited about Re:COM. My best prediction for HD rereleases of KH had KH1, KH2 and BBS in a bundle together since that better mimics how the MGS HD set went. So I hadn't really entertained the idea of Re:COM getting the treatment too even though it desperately needed it because the cutscenes were awful in it. Since it was just the + in KH2FM+, they didn't try very hard and it showed. The voiced scenes weren't rendered by the game at all--they were prerecorded--so it was exceedingly blurry if you ever tried to upscale it. The rest of the game looked great but the cutscenes which were arguably the whole reason to play the PS2 version over the GBA version (because let's face it, it did not transition well into KH1's engine) and they didn't look as nice as they could have. But they're going to look so pretty now! sdklfjdgj marluxiaaaaa!!!! ♥ (Sorry, COM is my favourite in the series after BBS.)

The only thing I'm worried about with all this is that they won't include voice options. I'm not a fan of the English voices anymore and since the FM versions seem to be what they're going for, I really hope they add in the option to choose your language. Would be neat if you could pick from the European dubs too but so long as I can switch to Japanese, I'm happy. I'm worried we won't be able to though since FM uses the English cutscene rigging where they change the lip flap to match the English dialogue. :( They'd have to include a lot more versions of cutscenes to do this well, I think. Fingers crossed, though!
    ...why doesn't this make sense? It may not be the favourite decision but it makes perfect sense to me: release HD set one now, KH set two a ways down the line, then hopefully they'll have finally assembled a team to work on KH3 and everyone's done their canon refresh so they know what's happening.

This is Square-Enix. You know what happens when they release too many games in a bundle: remember the FF boxset coming out this year? That's like $500 for 13 games. If you bundle all of the KH games, you have 6 games at least (7 including 3D but I feel like that's gonna be left out unless it's theatre'd) and they'd have no problem charging about the same price for an upgraded version. :P At least if it comes out in two sets (because no way will they be leaving KH2 out forever), the price will be manageable. When they're just tossing in an extra here and there, they're reasonable. I think a bundle of two games plus Days' theatre mode will mean the game is the same price as any new game that comes out.

Also you hated Days. Do you really want to play it again? XD Think of the theatre scenes for it as a bonus... although I really hope they convert some of the plot that isn't in FMVs so that we have a coherent summary instead of just the pretty parts because the most interesting plots happen "behind the scenes" in that game, imo. (At least regarding Xemnas's motivations and whatnot.) Also, Nomura is doing this because he's always wanted a way for the people who don't have every single console (sigh.) to play the games and know the story. Seems kind of strange that he'd leave out any middle-bits. Unless they'll put in every cutscene (yay!) and just rerig the text-only ones so they use the KH1 engine or something? Days itself wouldn't translate well off the handheld consoles anyway. Seriously, I really enjoy it for being a good pick-up-and-play game but it's repetitive and the gameplay would not be fun or forgiveable on a TV.
    Days' cutscenes will be displayed in Theatre mode, so pretty much just like the cutscenes were in KH2, BBS, and 3D after beating the games. Like I was saying above though, I wonder how they'll handle the non-FMVs. I know they're rerecording the "scenes" in HD but I assume that just means the voiced cutscenes. :/ A lot of the plot takes place in-between. I hope they redo that too and add it in, although I'm not hopeful since they'll probably just redo what's in the Theatre section of Days already.

Remix is just the subtitle. I don't think anything is going to change as far as plot or worlds. They're making it HD and that's enough of a remix, I imagine. I think they probably would have negotiated the Tarzan rights for any re-release the game might see (since iirc KH1FM was still getting "discount" editions after COM and I believe they'd lost the rights by then?), so I don't think they'll change that. If they do, no arguments here because I hate that world so much. XD;

We posted about the same time last night and that last paragraph was the only coherent thing I managed to make myself say, but you'd already said it better, whoops. I agree 100%, though. We're gonna see a 2.5 with KH2FM, BBSFM, and Re:Coded (but only in the form of cutscenes). I imagine 3D will be left out since it's still a new title but if not, maybe they'll convert it to the PS3's version of 3D? Haha, imagine it with Move controls, too, for petting the Dream Eaters? :P It might just get cutscene treatment if it even makes it in but if BBS can be converted to PS3 controls (and I've no doubt it can--since PSP has already proven it can be ported easily to PS3 with MGS: Peacewalker), I'm confident 3D could be too since they have the same battle system and already look better than KH2 did.
    I'm okay with spin offs. I was thinking last night and realized that Sora and Riku are really boring main characters for me. I'd prefer almost any other character in the spotlight, really. (And I prefer handhelds!) So KH3 never showing up would probably be okay with me. /worst kind of fan

It's still possible it could hit the 360. S-E doesn't really give the 360 any attention in Japan--I'm still surprised they bothered releasing FFXIII (&-2) on it. It doesn't seem implausible that they'd make it a multiplatform release in NA since KH is actually a lot more popular here, if the stats haven't changed since Days came out and the 360 is a lot more widespread than the PS3 here, I think. No clue how things on the Wii U are gonna work though. But I think a 360 version isn't totally unlikely.

But the games (aside from Re:COM) already look phenomenal when upscaled so I don't think you'd really be missing out all that much if you just went the emulator route.

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    About the voices: from what I heard, they're using the Japanese dubs of the games over the English ones, even in KH:FM. As for KH3D being in a collection, I'd assume that when KH3 releases, it'll have a summary of KH3D in some way. Like you said, it's still a fairly new title, and while they might not want to let people just skip it, they want people to at least have a general idea of its events before KH3 begins.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'm intrigued. What is up with Tarzan? SE has to license the Disney franchises individually? I thought Disney was cool with it, since they're publishing it (at least the first one, don't know about the others)

10. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    It's actually just that Disney doesn't own the rights to Tarzan, aside from re-releasing previously-made material of theirs I believe. Tarzan belongs to Edgar Rice Burroughs' family, since he wrote the novel that the film is based on.