1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VII Coming in 2015

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geoff, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
  2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    What do you mean why?

On Lucas' part: There's always been 9-12 parts to the series. Supposedly. After Episode III, Lucas kinda got disillusioned. Said six episodes was it. He grew to embrace new material that isn't necessarily part of the expanded universe - both Clone Wars animated shows. He's been trying to pitch a live action show not bound by the films but set within the same universe (why no one has picked it up yet is beyond me. But based on today's news, I'm willing to bet ABC was likely contender). After Red Tails he said he's done with Star Wars. He's tired of hearing how everything he does is wrong and wants to return to films like American Graffiti. He also brought in Kennedy recently as a successor (and hey, she's carried over to Disney now). So... putting the pieces together: he's moved on, but wants the franchise to live on with some fresh talent. Oh an he made a nice chunk of change doing this XD

On Disney's part: This is partnership they've been fostering for years. It was both conceived and eventually soured by Eisner (along with a few other partnerships). Iger though seems to have been favourable to him. Star Tours got a significant revamp. Star Wars presence in parks and Disney stores has increased. And ABC was probably very interested in the live action series front. Also, Imagineers have wanted to do more with Lucas material for ages. They can now have entire Lucas or Star Wars themed land. Star Wars is also, obviously huge. The movies bring in tonnes, of course. But then there's the merchandise and everything else that comes with the territory. Having Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound under their belt also increases their clout in the motion picture industry (also, money). Others will now come to them to do their special effects. And they've acquired LucasArts. Disney has been wanting to expand their presence in the gaming industry.

So... there you go. Thread closed XD

The sequel trilogy is based on a treatment by Lucas and very very early pre-production was already completed by Lucasfilm. Lucas will be involved as a creative consultant. Not a writer. Not a director. Not a producer. And that is good. Empire Strikes Back? Not written or directed by Lucas. He was basically a creative consultant on that. The Original Trilogy? American Graffiti? Raiders of the Lost Ark? Lucas had a strong team with him and a very strong-minded producer who would tell him if he had a stupid idea or if something didn't work. After that? The producer didn't like the direction Lucas was going, he left, and Lucas surrounded himself with a crew of yesmen - and the horrible Star Wars prequels came to be. We have Kennedy helming this. A long-time Spielberg collaborator and producer - so, I think we're safe with quality for the films. At the very least, better than the prequels.

In recent years, Disney has been forging relationships with some film makers (Cameron, Wheaton, Bird, del Toro, more stuff with Burton). Maybe they'll go the way of Potter or Bond have a new director every times (Episodes IV, V, and VI all had a different director after all)

3. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Does this mean the Star Wars universe can appear in the Kingdom Hearts games? :lol:

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Maybe. I guess Leia falls under the Disney Princess banner now

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    And J.J. Abrams is directing it.
    Pretty excited about this news. I really enjoyed what he did with Star Trek, and I'm intrigued to see where he goes with Star Wars. It's got to be better than Lucas, anyway.

6. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Can't say if I like the decision or not - I haven't seen Star Trek, and the only other Abrams movie I've seen is Armageddon, which I don't remember very well other than the factastic Aerosmith song - but it seems alright. Can't be any worse than Lucas himself. :P

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Oh, for sure it will be better than the prequels. With Abrams, we're guaranteed a good, entertaining film. Personally I'd like something of the quality of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, not Return of the Jedi. But, I don't see it happening.

He is a safe, bankable choice. He loves the franchise (he himself says he prefers it to Star Trek, and his Trek film screemed Original Trilogy more than it gave off a Trekkie feeling) and is a child of that era adoring Lucas and Spielberg (not to mention Super 8, which while flawed, captured the feeling of that kind of film well - and I hope to see that carried into the Star Wars films).

But, I don't think he would have been the best choice. I think someone a little more art-oriented would have been better. Not to say that it should have been an art film, because it shouldn't. But in recent film history, and in Star Wars' own history, that kind of director when tackling a large-scale project leads to good results. Even with Star Wars, what did George Lucas have under his belt when he took on Star Wars? THX 1138 and American Graffiti. Kershner when he directed Episode V? Loving and Eyes of Laura Mars.

The Harry Potter franchise had strong (critically, at least) entries by Alfonso Cuarón and David Yates, and Disney explored both of them in selecting a director. Not, to the best of my knowledge, of Disney's radar but to reinforce the point: Marc Webb, previously known for (500) Days of Summer, did well with The Amazing Spider-Man. Even more recent, and perhaps the best example, would be Sam Mendes who did Revolutionary Road and American Beauty before doing Skyfall 007. Oh, and of course, Christopher Nolan who had films like Memento and Insomnia, before The Dark Knight Trilogy made him a blockbuster director. So, I think this would have been a better route to go.

Outside of the Potter directors, on the more bankable side of things, Disney also looked at Joss Whedon (Disney's The Avengers), Jon Favreau (Elf, Iron-Man), and Brad Bird (The Iron Giant, Ratatouille, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) - I think he would have been a great choice. Steven Spielberg publicly turned it down really early on, but I don't know if they ever actually approached him. But he isn't often far away from Lucas and apparently, the choice of Abrams was his idea. They also looked at Guillermo del Toro, if only because they have a collaborative relationship with him (like Disney does with Tim Burton) but nothing has come out of it yet - I think that would make for one weird Star Wars flick XD

Disney's directing short-list aside, Abrams' usual writing/story issue (generally seen as the weak-point of his movies) shouldn't come into play here because his frequent collaborator-writers Orci and Kurtzman don't appear to be writing despite Abrams' and his production company's (Bad Robot) involvement. Writing, at the moment, appears to be the responsibility of Michael Arndt who worked on LItte Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 based on a story and rough treatment by George Lucas. I like that Abrams tries to use physical sets, props, stunts, and effects when possible - that should help a lot. But I fear his frequent and strong use of lens flares XD I hope he turns that down a couple thousand notches.

Right now, I'm more interested in the musical choice this might imply. John Williams is the sound of Star Wars. They go together. But, Abrams' musical collaborator is Michael Giacchino (who already has done a handful of Disney and Pixar scores as well, not to mention the redone Star Tours ride). Giacchino also has a huge amount of respect Williams, by his own admittance. I can't actually picture him taking the job unless Williams turns it down. I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino tries to seeks Williams' blessing first too lol. If for some reason Williams can't or won't score the new movie, I think I'd like to see Joel McNeely take a whack at it. He worked on the score for the Shadows of the Empire book (yes, a book received a musical score. It was then reused in the accompanying video game). While Giacchino (successfully) arranged John Williams' music for Star Tours, McNeely, I'd argue, successfully *emulated* Williams sound. The bulk of the album is original material and themes and could easily fit into the universe of the films.

To be fair, Armageddon is really more of a Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer affair. It was early on in Abrams' career and he merely wrote it. He hasn't actually directed that many movies. A better way to judge him and his quality is through what he's produced ('cause that also covers what he's directed) and the TV shows he's created

DarkSpade93 likes this.
  8. J-Law

J-Law Level 3

32%
    Just going to admit that I read the topic title and that's it but I am stupidly excited about this! Finally, we get the mythical "lost episodes" and teh first one is directed by the fabulous JJ Abrams! It's seriously going to be an awesome movie... I know Abrams won't let us down.

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I get the feeling it won't be so much a "lost episode" and more of a new plot that will be pulled out of some writer's ass, despite the fact there's a metric ton of Expanded Universe material they could draw from.

10. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    The some writer is actually quite good.

And the story for this trilogy at least is George Lucas'. Based on an old treatment of his and he has met with the writer to share story details.