1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Ōkami HD Releasing This Fall

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Jun 19, 2012.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Well, yes. I was talking about the brush.

For the bomb I made a really quick circle motion with my wrist followed by a short diagonal line shortly after. I did the bomb so often and so fast that it didn't feel like the pointer. It was the pointer of course, but eventually you don't concentrate on it

Maybe it was just practice? The first couple of times and when you first learn it, yeah you're clearly pointing. Same with other parts where it is drawing-based. But, the attacks are done so often that you somehow bypass the pointing through practice and it becomes effortless eventually.

Okay, I worded that badly.

You're pointing. It has to face the screen. But, aside from the first couple of times when you're learning an attack, I don't remember like... having my arm super extended and making exaggerated motions to line everything up properly. With practice you learn that you can do stuff with small wrist flicks and very little movement (which is pretty much true of any Wii game). It still has to face the screen so it reads it, but... I don't know, I remember it being simpler than I had initially thought it would be.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Yeah but then how would you place things properly? :s I remember having to be very careful with where I placed my brush strokes. So it sounds like they made it a lot more forgiving for the pointing controls.

Like, with bombs, they were probably the hardest thing for me because based on how big/small the bomb was, that affected where it appeared on the screen and how powerful it was. I can't imagine not being ridiculously precise with them, haha.

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    So it's out. And it's drop-dead gorgeous. And I really want it. But I've got so much else to play that I can't really justify dropping everything else and spending 40 hours on a game I already have played before.

I know that I'll get it eventually though, since I've kind of wanted to replay Okami.

4. Cherrim

56%
    I'm waiting for more free time before I pick this up. And I'm also really debating which language to buy it in since the Japanese version has furigana which would be helpful in learning. T_T; I'll probably just get it in English though.

I want to have time to appreciate it which I really don't right now. So I might get it during exams since I have a pretty long gap in between. It's really hard to wait though!

5. Jellicent

Jellicent Level 3

20%
    See, as much as I would love to play the new version of it, I don't wanna have to spend $200+ to get a PS3 and then play that ONE game on it. Okami as itself was just...omfg epic, but idk if I'd really wanna go through all that trouble again to play a game with a higher definition and extra trophies.

6. Cherrim

56%
    BUMP. because apparently all i want to talk about tonight is hd re-releases.

So am I the only one who picked this up in the end, despite being the only one with a PS3 who was really iffy on whether I wanted to bother getting it or not? XD; I got a PSN card for Christmas and this was the first thing I bought. Beat it over a month ago so it's been a while since I touched it but I really enjoyed playing it again.

I didn't, however, notice an amazing difference. The game always looked great and of course it looked great now, but since the art direction was so perfect and it didn't try to go for realism at all, it still looks great on PS2. I don't think this is necessarily the definitive version and while it's easy to obtain now compared to previous versions of the game, I don't think it's necessary for fans of the game who can still play their original copies on previous consoles. The picture is crisper and clearer, yeah, but this isn't a game where larger textures and higher resolution character models make that much of a difference. The sound/music also wasn't any higher quality than I've noticed in the past.

Trophies were neat and I wish I'd had more time to go for completion as I was playing it. I'd love to go back and do some more since that's a game I'd really like to be able to say I Platinum'd. As far as I remember though, there's a trophy partway through the game where if you don't get it at that point, you have to completely replay up until that point and it's fairly late in the game. Didn't get it, so I think that killed my enthusiasm for a lot of the others, haha. :[

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    From what I've seen in screen shot and video form, I like that they haven't really changed it. What Nintendo's doing to Wind Waker HD is a crime against humanity. Okami HD had the right idea.

Thinking of replaying Okami on Wii this year. Also will finally play Okamiden since its sitting on my shelf and I haven't touched it XD

8. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Whoa whoa whoa! Wait until more footage of WWHD is released before you make a claim like that. Sure it might look different but it's not necessarily worse.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Right now it is worse :p

It isn't cel-shaded any more. That was the point of "Celda"

10. Cherrim

56%
    I still haven't seen any screenshots or videos of TWW but it's starting to sound like they're missing the whole point of HD re-releases? It's mainly to up the resolution and textures, not to change the whole art design.

However, at least what they seem to be doing (I should really go look up a picture at the very least before I make assumptions like this but oh well) will be a marked visual difference, so anyone who played the original and picks it up will notice the change. Timeless games like Okami or TWW don't really need any updates or alterations to look good, though, since they very much worked with the hardware limitations they were developed for. Their designs were never once restricted by the levels of realism available and games like that don't typically "need" resolution jumps to look good. It's an added bonus but they age so well it's almost unnecessary to have them at all.