1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Games you'd like to see remade in HD

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Jul 9, 2011.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    The bad reviews mostly came from two camps.

A) The usual Nintendo sucks crowd
    B) Diehard N64 GoldenEye fans who wanted either an XBLA handling or VC port. They're against the modernization

If you cut through the crap, the reviews are largely positive. It has an 83.77% on GameRankings and an 81% on MetaCritic.

I have played through it a few times. I endorse it XD It's good, it's fun, it's an impressive re-imagining of the film. And that's how you should really look at it. It's a re-imagining of the film, it's not a remake of the N64 game. It has Bond in it and they share some locations because the basic plot is the same but that's about it. The multiplayer is drastically different from the N64 game, so don't get your hopes up there. But there is a clear respect from the developers for the Bond franchise, and GoldenEye license.

It's modified from the more recent Call of Duty engines, to give it that modern shooter feeling. But, it is well hidden. It doesn't play like a CoD map pack. It feels like a Bond game. Regardless it's a solid, well-made shooter and must-have for Wii owners whether you've played the original or seen the movie or not. The controls are a highlight, so get the PSMove version if you haven't already got the Wii version. I'm not sure how it will fare on the 360.

It is a good, solid game. But, there are better shooters out there and without the motion controls found on the Wii or PS3, it won't really have the same edge on the 360.

2. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    Hey thanks for the nice little review there!
    I never really read any full reviews on the game, but I guess the negativity I perceived was because
    -It wasn't as good a shooter as, say Call of Duty or Battlefield
    -Wasn't the same Goldeneye game as the N64 version
    So basically, it's a pretty decent game, but it's not like the original, which is what most people are looking for.

3. Savvy

Savvy GamerBB Owner

96%
    The first Tony Hawk Pro Skater on the PS1 would be an awesome HD remake. It would need a graphical boost but it would still be great even today.

4. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    No, it is like the original, it just isn't the same as the original. It has several levels similar to the original game, and I'd say the game as a whole has a similar feel to the original game.

5. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    Oh, his review gave me the feel that it was very different, as he said the multiplayer's drastically different.
    I also read that it has several of the same levels, but I guess no matter how hard they try they can't please those die-hard fans of the classic.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    The bulk of the similarity is because both are based on the film. There are shared locations and scenes. The N64 game has 18 standard levels, the Wii game has 13. Similarities, when they exist, are because of the shared plot of the movie. They are similar in concept or theme, but are executed in a very different way.

The developers put in some throwbacks to the N64 game like with some camera effects at the start of levels. The first level is the most similar to the N64 game in terms of layout. They also kept the more objectives to complete in your mission as you increase in difficulty feature from the old game. Also, there's an armour-only mode you can unlock.

New levels, new layouts of old levels, different objectives, regenerating health, modern FPS game elements (mostly because of the use of the Call of Duty engine), re-imagined plot and scenarios, etc.

What I meant with the multiplayer is primarily the lack of some of the same play modes or weapon combinations. Also, a smaller map selection (none of which are from the old game despite an expansion of the N64 Facility map being in Activision's Quantum of Solace game). Add in regenerating health and you have a vastly different multiplayer experience from what the N64 game is legendary for.

It's a good game and I recommend it. But it's not a remake, rerelease, or pretty port like the suggestions for other games in this thread have been. It's as entirely separate, stand alone, experience.

Think of it like a reboot rather than a remake. The essence and spirit is there, but it is a different game. "Reloaded" is an HD version, remake, port, enhancement, whatever of the Wii game, not the N64 game.

Anyway... so I don't derail the thread. I'd like to see the original Paper Mario in HD. All nice and smoothly redrawn.

7. Mao Rune

Mao Rune This world can try...

50%
  8. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    It sounds like they did a good job of keeping some of the original elements of the N64 version, while still adding in more modern FPS elements like the CoD engine.
    And I agree with the Paper Mario comment as well, that game was an absolute blast to play, I have it on an N64 emulator.

9. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I for one would not like to see FF7 remade. It would probably kill Square-Enix for good, a developer who (to my understanding) has been really struggling financially. It's too big a game to tackle that for earnest. Updating textures and graphics a bit and releasing it on a handheld console I can see, but doing it in the style of FF13? Not gonna happen. It would take all their dev teams for a project that huge, it would take years and years, and way too much money they don't have right now. The payoff would be amazing in the end, yeah, but by the time they finished it, next gen would probably be coming to a close. :P So it's not a realistic want, though it would be nice to see.

I myself don't... really have anything I'd like to see. :x I'd love to see the Kingdom Hearts games get the same treatment as some of the PS3-re-releases though, and that's been sort of hinted at with Birth by Sleep, but I think a re-release of the PS2 games (especially Final Mixes) would be quite welcome too. And I'd love to see Tales of Symphonia or Tales of the Abyss get released with graphical updates on par with Vesperia or Xillia and not-horrible load times.

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I guess that's true about it being too financially prohibitive, and with Square's development times it would take years and cost millions to tackle a project like that.

The Kingdom Hearts games would really be good...I'd love to see a PS3 re-release of the Final Mixes, simply upscaled so that they look decent on an HDTV. We never got them here, and I've been dying to play FM and FM+, so that would be perfect.