1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX Coming to PS3 (KH1:FM, KHRe:CoM, cutscenes from 358/2 Days)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    They only seem spin-offy because they aren't on main consoles but I'm starting to wonder if there's really a point to going back to the main consoles. :/ I guess the games would be longer but I actually kind of like the addition of "gimmicky" things on each handheld. I just wish they'd pick one so you don't have to buy every console imaginable to know the whole story.

I have to admit, I'm not really looking forward to the day KH hits the main consoles again because it means I can't bring the game with me everywhere! D:

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    But the games control so much better on consoles - KH2 nailed the controls and I feel like none of the handheld entries has been able to match it, especially in terms of the camera. Plus I'm tired of KH looking...pretty much the same. Ready to see what the series will look like in HD.

3. Frostweaver

Frostweaver Level 2

73%
    I don't think that just because it doesn't have a "number" at the end, it's not a main game. It's just that if the plot doesn't do anything as if this installment of game is not doing anything *cough*358/2*cough* then it feels like a total ripoff and trying to "do anything" with the characters and hope they buy the game. A lot of the games after KH2 are like that, or they're just remakes... KH3DS seems to finally get it right again as things move on, things actually 'happen' with consequences and the gameplay isn't that bad either.

Not enough to prompt me to buy it and the 3DS though XD;

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Birth by Sleep and 3D are both just as content-filled and important to the plot as the numbered entries. 358 wasn't very good, but it does have a few plot points. Still felt unnecessary though.

5. Cherrim

56%
    Days felt unnecessary at the time but I think it's one of those things that might become important later? Well, as important as Chain of Memories. :/ So important enough that if you continue on with the series without having played/watched it, you'll be kind of confused about this big gap in the plot that seemed to be covered up but it wouldn't be so jarring that you would have no idea what's going on, like skipping 3D. It's a very in-between game that's probably going to be important if you're really interested in the lore/story of Kingdom Hearts but for casual fans of the series, not a big deal.

I just realized I'm really going to miss Mission Mode. :'( I wish they could keep it in somehow with splitscreen it could have been so awesome. /sob

6. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
  7. Cherrim

56%
    Glad I don't have to spend any more time reassuring people it'll leave Japan. Don't know why anyone thought it wouldn't in the first place. :P

8. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    What was more absurd was that a lot of people thought that if it did come over here, they would remove the Final Mix content. That would have taken extra time to do and would have taken away a major selling point for the game, why would people think they'd do that? >_>

Regardless, I'm glad it's coming over, though I'm a bit confused as to why they're releasing it this fall. Most of the game's already done in English, so a summer release would have made more sense, especially when you consider that they're also releasing Lightning Returns in the fall. There's also the PS4 launch to consider.

Still, a later release is better than no release. :P Now I'm just curious as to whether or not they'll finally bother properly syncing the voices in Re:Chain of Memories. It's not that big of an issue, but it was a bit odd, especially since every previous game in the seires (At the time, at least) had characters' mouths edited to match the voices.

9. Cherrim

56%
    Haha, I know right? It's not like a whole lot was even added in KH1's FM anyway. Just a few cutscenes that were never voiced and a few additional menu options to drop translations in for. That's why we never got it, not because they've been secretly guarding it away from us all these years.

They like their August-September release dates for KH so I'm not too surprised. They don't really need to stagger FF and KH releases, either, since they kind of sell independently of each other. People who like both series will indefinitely pick up both at some point (if not on launch--Square Enix has a lot of dedicated fans).

I assume the only reason they didn't sync the voices in Re:Chain is because the cutscenes were pre-recorded. They aren't rendered in realtime like every other (PS2/PSP) KH game so all they had to work with were the Japanese cutscene recordings. They did their best, I suppose, since it wasn't really a "serious" release in Japan (just a bonus disc that came with the already beefed up KH2FM) and they didn't get the best quality content to work with. But since they'll be rerigging it with the updated character models for the HD cutscenes and, I assume, letting them run in realtime, there's no reason they can't update it for the localized release unless they want to cut corners. Which is possible but hopefully they won't do that. :(

10. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Huh, I didn't know that Re:CoM's scenes were pre-rendered. I wonder why they chose to record them instead of presenting them in real-time? I wouldn't think space would be much of an issue, and it isn't like the scenes look a whole lot better from the actual game. Oh well. Didn't really make much of a difference until the decision to release the game in English was made.

Anyway, yeah, this release hopefully means that they can give Re:CoM's scenes a proper English treatment. Let's also hope that they can do this with the 358/2 Days scenes, as well.