1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The WiiU

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Marz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'd say two to two-and-a-half years was the Wii storm. And yeah it died down. But, everyone wanted one. Keyword being "one".

Tough to sell people on something they already have. Everyone bought it, no one has a need for two.

2. Will

Will Staff Writer

42%
    Agreed. They sold the console to a mass amount of people, but you know what they did? They disappointed a lot of gamers, in my opinion. Because of the serious lack of AAA games due to hardware and lack of decent titles, they lost the interest of a lot of people. I know that I haven't used my Wii in a very long time and I don't really care about the WiiU off the back of the Wii because they have lost my trust and interest after they made such a big deal about it.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim skystreaks.

8%
    I don't have a specific opinion on the WiiU, but then again its something that I'm most likely not going to get, anyway. I rarely play my Wii enough as it is, I can't picture myself buying something that I'm going to play just as often as I do with my own Wii(and heck, I hardly play any Wii games save for Brawl, I mainly play Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness).

4. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    It could be some kind of furturistic device that jacks hyper-real virtual reality into my brain and I wouldn't be interested in it if the games I want for it won't be localized. Nintendo's make it quite clear that if you're not satisfied with Mario or soccer mom games, you're not worth courting as a customer.

It's graphically acceptable, but the tablet controller is terrible. Not because there's anything inherently wrong with it, but the thought that Nintendo thinks that it has to copy Apple to survive is sad. If they can't even be true to the "innovation" mantra that they've been spewing for years, can Nintendo be said to stand for any idea other than money anymore? Between the me-too philosophy between the WiiU and the Operation Rainfall fiasco, I feel like I've witnessed the death of a company that I loved for most of my life.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I don't think it's necessarily copying Apple. We're not going to be seeing tablet-style games. It's an input device and you can use a stylus on it. It's more of a realization of the DS concept in your living room than an iPad knock-off.

6. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    Absolutely.
    The controller is nothing like the iPad, I hate when people say every tech company just rips off Apple.
    The iPad is a tablet to surf the web, play games on and watch videos. The Wii U controller just happens to have a touchscreen.

7. Soul

Soul Demonic s o u l

16%
    I don't have a Wii, but I guess I might buy this if everyone likes it. But only if there are games on it that I would like to play.

8. KingManta

KingManta Level 5

88%
    Well right now there aren't all of the great Nintendo games out, but in the future classic series like Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros will be coming out. Also a new Super Mario Galaxy I believe.

9. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I don't know about SMG, but I'd love to see that HD Zelda demo become a reality. It was drop-dead gorgeous.

10. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Level 4

80%
    We went a whole generation, and a generation where Nintendo had a controller with pointer controls no less, and still didn't get Pokemon Snap 2, so I have complete faith in Nintendo's ability to make horrible choices in what game concepts do and don't become reality with the WiiU. We'll probably get NSMBWiiU and Big Brain Academy WiiU long before anything that anyone actually wants.

Re: Nintendo copying Apple, I know that tablet =! iPad, but considering Nintendo's recent history of fearing Apple, there's something to be said for Nintendo introducing a controller with a touchscreen that at least somewhat resembles the iPad. I have no doubt that it'll have an app store, cheap downloadable games for use with the controller, a web browser, and such. The reveal clip reel for the WiiU showed people playing simple stuff like Othello on the touchscreen controller, and while it's capable of streaming any WiiU game to the screen, I don't think that's going to be its primary use. It's certainly not a function targeted at core gamers.