1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The WiiU

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Marz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    It's definitely got a lot of potential. They need to iron out some of the OS issues though. It is slow, and the menus can be horribly convoluted to navigate (Miiverse and eShop especially). I haven't experienced any freezing though, so fingers crossed!

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I finally found a place that had one set up recently and played a bit of... some demo. I don't even know what game was in it at the time. Might've been the Rayman demo? Looked medieval.

ANYWAY. The gamepad tablet is massive omg. It was so uncomfortable for me to hold and it felt pretty heavy although that might have just been the cable connecting it to the demo system. I don't remember there being any use to the touchscreen on it in the demo but I also might have not looked at it because now that I think about it, it seems like it would be really awkward to focus on two screens at once like that. So I imagine most things don't really use it? (And if they do, I guess maybe it works better when you're sitting on a couch and can always see one in your peripheral vision fairly well instead of having them essentially perpendicular when you're right up against the demo TV. *shrug*) Fact remains that it was terribly large and not at all comfortable for me. I know I have small hands but kids are supposed to play consoles too, aren't they? :'(

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I actually like the size of the Gamepad, haha. The only problem I've come across is when you have to use both the shoulder buttons and the triggers. Darksiders II requires you to use the right button to dodge and I've gotten so use to resting my index fingers on the triggers that it's kind of awkward. I don't have any trouble with the PS3 or 360 controllers, but I think the fact that the triggers are lower on the Gamepad trips me up a bit.

4. Cherrim

56%
    I'm not certain I even noticed it had triggers. It wouldn't surprise me if I just couldn't physically reach them to notice them.

Seriously. The game pad is huge. I get why it needs to be but augh.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I think they could have gotten by with something Vita-sized. Don't know why they made it so large.

Rumour is their looking into having the 3DS work as a controller. Maybe that would be better for you?

6. Eoin

Eoin Heyoooooooo

40%

I have heard surprisingly good things about the WiiU so far, and I have to say.. I wasn't expecting that.

Nintendo seem to love their little gimmicks, and the glaringly obvious one is the controller.

To put it pretty simply, I don't reeeeeeeeally see the appeal with it, but fair dues if it's doing well.

I really think, as a whole, the WiiU was presented quite poorly. I'm sure a lot of people thought it was an addition for the Wii, rather than a brand new console, so.. yeah. Sure, regular gamers would know, but Wii's are pretty popular family-consoles, for kids and whatever.

I don't think I'll be getting one (unless they end up making a proper, 8-badge Pokémon game for it, but that seems, as ever, unlikely).

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    The Wii U's still presented poorly. How many people probably think the tablet can be taken anywhere, like in the car?

8. Cherrim

56%
    I still think the touch pad is way too big. :( Played it again in store the other day hoping another go would change my mind and it was even worse. The demo wasn't already going when I got there so my roommates and I had to fumble through the horrible demo menu to figure out how to play something. Scrolling through the available titles was so slow! It had to be done on the touch screen of the controller and the D-pad or analog controls wouldn't work. In the end, we played a bit of the Rayman demo and the massive controller was so useless!

You'd think that for something they're pushing so heavily (the deluxe controller for this brand new console), they'd actually make good use of it in the demos available. :/ There was seemingly no reason to use the tablet controller over the Wii remote until all of a sudden there was an arbitrary and optional point in the level where you had to... launch something at a background fixture, I think? So of course, the screen on the controller flashes something (that you can't really see because you're not looking at it, you're looking at the TV [however maybe this isn't as much of an issue when you're sitting on a couch a couple metres away from the TV screen rather than standing right in front of it?]) and then you have to tap it to aim. The screen on the touch pad was a blank placeholder until this "event" in the level so it's not like there was any reason at ALL to be looking down at it before this. But anyway, you tap wherever you want to throw this character and it didn't respond. Had to tap fairly furiously to get it but I'm gonna chalk that up to it being a display console and it's not like those are every taken care of. The mechanic was just so tacked on, though, and I feel like it would be for almost anything that flipped between the game and the TV screen. No one wants to have to keep looking between their controller and their TV. I get frustrated doing that sort of thing when I'm reading instructions in a guide to get through a dungeon, nevermind actually having to keep up with two screens on a regular basis throughout a game.

The analog sticks are also in such awkward places. I didn't feel like I could use the analog stick and the buttons at the same time because it felt so unnatural. I know the analog and the buttons are in different areas on the 360 controller but because of the way you have to hold the Wii U touch pad so high up, the weight distribution feels off and it's just harder to hold comfortably when your thumbs are in different places. We stuck to the D-Pad the whole time because it didn't feel as awkward. Maybe that would change after using it longer and getting used to it (not to mention while not standing in a store) but the thing is just so big and clunky in my hands that I almost doubt it.

The more exposure I have to the Wii U, the less impressed I get. :( I'm absolutely dreading the day it gets Pokemon Snap or something that I'll actually want to play to any extent.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Yeah, I have no idea why Nintendo made the analog sticks like that. I never saw that coming. It's not like this is their first controllers with two sticks. The GCN controller and both variants of Classic Controller on the Wii had a more traditional layout - not to mention it just being like the defacto industry standard. Really seems strange.

I don't think having two screen will bother me much because I'm thinking it would be like the DS

10. Cherrim

56%
    But the two screens on the (3)DS are right next to each other. You can't see one and not be able to see the other in your peripheral vision at the very least--though depending on the game and the usage, it's possible to be able to focus on both.

With the Wii U, the screens aren't both visible unless you're actively holding the controller up so it's in your line of sight to the TV. :| If they can't even figure out how to make both screens work seemlessly in demos that are meant to show off the tablet, I don't have much faith for actual games. ._.