1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

What're you watching?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rhys, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I'm actually at the point where I'm about ready to give up on Doctor Who because I'm so fed up with the current showrunner. He's good for things like Sherlock where he only gets a few long episodes to make a season but as a showrunner for something with a long history & complex canon, it's... really not good. The episodes themselves generally stand up really well on their own but the season arcs are terrible and even from just the reboot (since I haven't watched much Classic who) he's flung so much canon out the window. (And don't get me started on his female characters..........) The older episodes are cheesy as hell but I found the show more enjoyable as a whole back then because you could actually see things coming and predict where the plot was going, and it made the tie-ups at the end of the seasons so satisfying. AND PLEASE DON'T SKIP SERIES 4... Donna is the best companion by far. She and the Doctor being BFFs is still one of my favourite things in the world aaahhh.

But I'm glad more people are watching Doctor Who, yay! I think over time, Eccelston has become my favourite Doctor because he's so snarky, but Tennant was my first so I've got a soft spot for him. I'm soooo excited for Twelve though, which is why I haven't given up yet.

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I've heard people say that the writing really went to hell when Matt Smith became the Doctor and if it weren't for his delivery and the way he handles the horrible writing, the show would have gone to total shit.

That said, I really don't get the hate that Eccleston gets. His snark, quick delivery, and general spazziness is fantastic...although I guess I have no room to talk since he's the only Doctor I've seen so far. Really looking forward to getting to Tennant though.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I don't know, I've really liked the multi-episodes plots so far from the Smith run. Like the Weeping Angels or the Silence (not that you'll know what I'm talking about Geoff).

I liked what I saw of Eccleston and I intend on going back there, and Tennant too. From what I've read they're both often voted as best Doctor. I think, since I had such a tough time with the cheese factor before, that once I wrap up Smith's run in full that I might be able to go back to the beginning of the episode and appreciate what I missed more.

Anyway, this is becoming a bit of a Doctor Who thread lol

4. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    Game of Thrones is my drug. I can't get enough of the universe. Read through all the books, now enjoying the shock my dad experiences as we watch the fourth season.

Beyond that, I watch a lot. Reality shows like Hell's Kitchen, comedies like Community, dramas like Parenthood, etc. I could do a list, but it's probably at least fifty shows long. I don't always keep up with the shows all the time, but I am invested in a lot of television characters. :P

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    So, I spent my long weekend being ultra productive and watched the entirety of Series 7 and the 2013 Specials - the remainder of the Eleventh Doctor's run. All of it. The specials, the mini-sodes, the prequels, whatever there was to watch. I took a break after Series 6 for a couple months for some reason, but I fell right back into it this weekend.

In summary... I liked Series 5 best and enjoy Smith's character overall. In Series 6, I liked the increased prevalence of Rory, but I didn't really care for the overall arc of the season about River - whereas I really enjoyed the cracks in the universe subplot from the preceding season and thought that all tied together well in the end. Through Series 6 and 7, I enjoyed episodes on their own (they work well like that) and Smith was still great but... oh man, Series 7's overall arc was so not coherent. Which isn't to say they were bad, because they weren't. I enjoyed watching it all. I wouldn't have marathoned this weekend if I didn't lol But that overall cohesion in Series 5, I thought it was really smart and felt the following seasons suffered for lacking it.

Least favourite episodes... for some reason I didn't enjoy any of the Christmas specials. They were all really slow moving compared to the rest of the season.

I did enjoy what I saw Tennant in the Day of the Doctor special. So, looking forward to going back and catching up on those episodes now. I was hoping to get this all out of the way by the start of Series 8, but... I took too much of a break, so that's not going to happen. Will try though.

Onwards to Eccleston episode three :X

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I don't want to dominate this thread with just the one topic, and I doubt anyone particularly cares or is interested in anyway, but.. I'm still at this. And I found a Christmas special I enjoyed. For one very simple reason.

HE QUOTED THE LION KING

OMG

Geoff likes this.
  7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Erica and I both said that made the whole episode, haha.

8. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    My dad and I just finished the Sopranos for the first time. Very excellent.

Now we've started the Shield. :D

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    It's the Fall television season! What's everyone watching?

I'm still ever-loyal to Person of Interest. It's a really strong season so far even though it's just a few episodes in. That first episode is one of my favourites now. Did everything really well.

Keeping up with The Blacklist which I started watching last season.

I tried out Gotham for two episodes. Really didn't like it at all. Poorly acted. Disrespects the comic source material. Not really interesting at all. Gave the show up quick. (Ivy's name is Ivy? Seriously? Why? We couldn't figure out she would grow up to be Ivy just by her clearly pruning plants a lot?)

Still at with Doctor Who. Not too fond of this new Doctor. There's no fun in what he does. The other ones had this... "Let's go on an adventure!" feeling to them. This new one feels like he just doesn't care. Doesn't seem to be a series arc to this one outside of human drama. I really liked the latest episode though. I hope that writer turns out more stuff.

10. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I am now caught up with Doctor Who (circa 2005). I really wish I was following that in the moment, because as much as I enjoyed it it would have been better just be in the fanbase as things happen. Which I did this season with the latest series, but still I missed a lot.

So, I need something new to watch and spend the time. Suggestions? I'm looking at more House of Cars, or Halt and Catch Fire, Silicon Valley, X-Files. Anything better to try out?